FreeNas in about 10 minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

titi_FreeBoxNas

Dabbler
Hi guys from France,

I am far from being an network expert. I needed about 15 minutes to set up FreeNAS, just amazing.

It is installed on a MSI Neo K9N V2, year 2007, AMD 64, 1024 ko, 1Gb Ram machine for a try.
For my new home (i'm getting soon), I need to set up a NAS and, so far it has been all good.

The only matter I met was an issue during the install process. An error message... I guessed that was one of my device that was the issue. So i decided to uninstall them one at time to find the "wrong" device.
I first unplugged the USB keyboard, and got lucky cause it was the matter. Then 15 minutes later, FreeNas was up and i was sharing the first file with another computer using Windows 8 OS, throught the 4 ports switch of my internet box, without having to fix IP adresses (time have changed ... I remember the time I was Young and network set up were not that easy).

Well, the 700 Mo file was transfered at a speed of 10 Mo/s. Might be due to the old Matrox dd that is so noisy that i don't know how it still runs... At least it is faster that the FTP server I am using atm.

So.... very very pleased ! (except https should be default parameter imo)

The first thoughts I am having atm are (I am not awaiting answers:) ) :
- security : what if I give the IP adress of my internet box as my Gateway. I'm affraid NAS is going to be seen from the internet ? If yes, what are the conséquences not giving access to internet to the NAS except no acces to plugins and jail ? I hope that plugins like plex or so don't need the internet access. No i don't see why it would :)
- I have no other thought for the moment and I am going to try to install the plugin from the shell.

Edit : Oh, just rebooted the machin and got an error message. I have to put off the comp and to restart it to have FreeBSD starting correctly.

gpsguy

A vintage 2007 box is a bit old for FreeNAS 9.3. And, with just 1/8th of the minimum RAM requirements, expect to run into oddities that may lead to data loss.

My guess, is that you have a number of performance related issues: old/slow hardware with insufficient RAM, unknown NIC (and speed), probably 10/100 ports on your "internet box", just to name a few.

Assuming you don't have the box connected directly to the internet and you aren't do port forwarding from the internet to the server, the NAS shouldn't be exposed to the internet. One of the new features with v9.3 is an upgrade feature, similar to Windows update. To use the feature, the server would need internet access.

Please take a look at the stickies on the hardware forum, to get an idea of what is recommended. Also, please look at the FreeNAS requirements.

btw, welcome to the FreeNAS forums!

titi_FreeBoxNas

Dabbler
As I said, this was just to have a try before deciding the way i will build my NAS (OS, "software", hardware, home-made, bought etc.)

Thank you for your"welcome".

Status
Not open for further replies.