My second build using Supermicro X10SLH-F mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PenalunWil

Contributor
I've started another NAS Build using the Supermicro X10SLH-F, the E3-1240 v3 Xeon, and 2 x 8gb ECC Hynix RAM.

I received the mobo just before Christmas and noticed that the quick set up guide that came with it says that it needs non-ECC RAM, however internet searches say that it should be ECC ram...

I assumed that the Start up guide was a printing error and went ahead with the build, however I'm getting a post error code 55 with 4 beeps on start up. I've pulled the cmos battery for 40 minutes, and just used one strip of RAM with nothing else connected and the problem persists.

Has anybody else used the X10SLH?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
The X10SLH-F is the C226 version of the more popular X10SLM+-F and X10SLL+-F.

What's the DIMM model number?

mjws00

Guru
I'd pull a stick from the working box. I'd throw the new sticks in the working box. I might even pull the cpu from the working box. Plus you can plug into a known compatible psu, etc. Nothing better than having almost matched systems for troubleshooting.

Should be pretty easy to mix and match to isolate components. It's certainly possible the SLH doesn't like that RAM, but seems unlikely.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

PenalunWil

Contributor
Just a quick up-date...

I spoke to Server Case UK who told me that the RAM should be in the first blue channel which is channel A slot 2 and not the grey slots.
I tried this with a single stick and still got the error code 55/4 beeps. So I then tried a single stick in blue slot channel B slot 2, and guess what... it boots up.
I changed the RAM to my other stick in the same slot and that booted up to. So both sticks of RAM are okay.
I got into the bios set up and the bios version is up to date (no flash needed) and all the other stuff is fine, but as soon as I try and populate the other blue slot (either as a pair or singularly) then the error code 55 comes back.
I've been in touch with Supermicro Tech' Support through out the problem and they asked me to re-seat the CPU which I did and took micro photo's of the Mobo socket and that looks fine too but the problem still persists.
I have sent all details to Supermicro serial numbers, photo's etc and they said that there shouldn't be a problem so they have now issued a RMA on the motherboard.
I'm now hoping that they will replace the motherboard with a new one... watch this space... ;)

Wil

n.b. If any of you have used the X10SLH-F did your quick set up guide state that you should be using non-ECC RAM???

I use that board. I'll check this weekend what is says in the quick setup guide. I don't see it here.

I use four of their reccomended Samsung 8GB sticks (whick are ECC of course). Works like a charm :)

Last edited:

PenalunWil

Contributor
I'm still waiting on Supermicro and Server Case UK to sort out the RMA on my motherboard... I returned it at the start of January and still waiting. I've been contacting Server Case UK on a regular basis by phone and e-mail and they say its Supermicro that has been causing the delay. Has any one else had this sort of problem with their RMA?

Status
Not open for further replies.