Freenas hung on Mounting local file system for days

Status
Not open for further replies.

vazov

Cadet
I'm new to the forums although I'm using FreeNAS since v.7. I'm struggling for two days with the same problem - the system stuck on the "Mounting local file system". I booted in single user mode and tried to import the pool manually with
Code:
zpool import -f main

but nothing seems to happened - I left it for hours to no avail, it seems there is no disk activity too.
My system is based on Asus E35M1-I DELUXE motherboard (AMD E-350 Dual-Core CPU) with 8GB RAM. Storage is 4 x 2TB drives in Raid Z1 configuration. I tried to boot from clean FreeNAS installation but the result was the same.
Any suggestions are welcomed. Thanks!

vazov

Cadet
UPDATE: What's really annoys me is that there is no error message at all, after issuing "zpool import" command. I've even added
Code:
vfs.zfs.debug=1
vfs.zfs.recover=1
debug.bootverbose=1

in my /boot/loader.conf file and there is still no error message. I've read so many forums and users complain with errors, kernel panic etc. In my case "zpool import" claims all devices are "ONLINE" but nothing happens. I left it overnight to no avail - please check the attached photo.
Any help is appreciated.
2eaux3p.jpg

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
V.7 isn't FreeNAS anymore. You should be posting at nas4free forums. Most people with FreeNAS that get this error haven't met the minimum spec and have very little memory.

vazov

Cadet
V.7 isn't FreeNAS anymore. You should be posting at nas4free forums. Most people with FreeNAS that get this error haven't met the minimum spec and have very little memory.
I wrote that I'm using FreeNAS since v.7, my problems are with the most current version - 9.3 RELEASE.

frozn00

Explorer
you are only using 6GB of memory and the min in 8GB. I'm not saying this is your issues but it is almost impossible to rule anything out until you get your system up to the minimum spec.

Memory is now at 8037MB...8 gb or so and the same errors occurs. Is there anything I can try to access the zpool? Older version of freenas maybe. Would that make any difference? I have the original flash drive image if there are any files I can get off it that can help me if needed.

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
have you tried a new usb stick and can you post the log messages that are displayed before the hang?

frozn00

Explorer
have you tried a new usb stick and can you post the log messages that are displayed before the hang?

Maybe I am finally getting somewhere and maybe someone can help me figure it out. Before I was ever on FreeNas I was on Nas4Free 9.1.0.1 - Sandstorm (revision 573). To upgrade to Freenas, I upgraded directly from the GUI of Nas4free and then I was on Freenas 9.2.* then eventually (from the posts prior) to Freenas 9.3.*. On a hunch, I have now installed the Nas4Free 9.1.0.1 - Sandstorm (revision 573) again, turned on SSH, and ran zpool import -R /mnt -f RAID. I then created a CIFS share and I now have access to my data. This all started, if you look at my very first post, is me trying to delete a jail. I want to completely get rid of the jail. I am attaching what nas4free is showing. I want to get back on Freenas 9.3 with no jails...that is my goal. I may create another jail at some point, but I want to start fresh. So happy to have access to my data again.

Attachments

• jails.JPG
    jails.JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 169

frozn00

Explorer
Maybe I am finally getting somewhere and maybe someone can help me figure it out. Before I was ever on FreeNas I was on Nas4Free 9.1.0.1 - Sandstorm (revision 573). To upgrade to Freenas, I upgraded directly from the GUI of Nas4free and then I was on Freenas 9.2.* then eventually (from the posts prior) to Freenas 9.3.*. On a hunch, I have now installed the Nas4Free 9.1.0.1 - Sandstorm (revision 573) again, turned on SSH, and ran zpool import -R /mnt -f RAID. I then created a CIFS share and I now have access to my data. This all started, if you look at my very first post, is me trying to delete a jail. I want to completely get rid of the jail. I am attaching what nas4free is showing. I want to get back on Freenas 9.3 with no jails...that is my goal. I may create another jail at some point, but I want to start fresh. So happy to have access to my data again.

EDIT>>I was thinking that the jail reference was in this thread but it was not. It was in this post that I started earlier. Sorry. https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...s-on-freenas-missing-space.25882/#post-163145

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
you upgraded from nas4free to freenas! what are you even trying to do? if you want freenas 9.3 burn the iso to a usb stick and boot it up.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
Uh.

You can't upgrade to a completely different OS like that.

No wonder you had issues. The 2 projects have nearly nothing to do with each other....

frozn00

Explorer
Uh.

You can't upgrade to a completely different OS like that.

No wonder you had issues. The 2 projects have nearly nothing to do with each other....
you upgraded from nas4free to freenas! what are you even trying to do? if you want freenas 9.3 burn the iso to a usb stick and boot it up.

So the general consensus is to just copy my data to another location, destory the zfs volume, recreate on Freenas 9.3?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So the general consensus is to just copy my data to another location, destory the zfs volume, recreate on Freenas 9.3?
Yep.

Status
Not open for further replies.