FreeNAS freezes on shutdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EvanVanVan

Patron
Just loaded up FreeNAS for the first couple of times ever. Twice now, FreeNAS freezes on shutdown (when supposedly properly shutting down). I'm not sure if I'm just waiting long enough, or if something is wrong. I attached a screenshot.

It's the latest FreeNAS loaded off a 8GB SanDisk flash drive...
SuperMicro mb, a xeon cpu, and kingston ecc ram

Any suggestions? Is it safe to hold the power button and force a shutdown at that point?

Thanks

Edit: oh I forgot to mention, all 8 of my WD Reds are plugged into an IBM m1015 card crossflashed to IT mode. So idk if that could have something to do with it...(although I haven't even had the chance to format them or anything yet...Maybe I'll try unplugging them and see if that fixes the problem...

Edit - Fixed: Ah I feel like an idiot... After looking at the picture a dozen times, and playing around in the BIOS, I realized there was a stupid "Generic 6000" boot option that was always jumping to the front of priority list. Took me long enough to realize I had hooked up my Lian-Li case's front SD card reader to the motherboard, which was causing the Generic 6000 boot option. And clearly FreeNAS doesn't play nice with it. Unplugging it, and FreeNAS shuts down no problem...

Attachments

• IMG_20140321_181241.jpg
    IMG_20140321_181241.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 231
D

dlavigne

How are you shutting down? How long was the wait before taking the screenshot?

EvanVanVan

Patron
The first time I booted up I didn't have a network cable plugged in. At some point after running through various tests and failing to grab an IP, it got me to the list of 11 or so command line items and I was able to select "Shutdown" as one of them (with a keyboard connected to the freenas machine). The second time, I shutdown via the web GUI by going to the "file menu">Shutdown. Then I switched my display over to the freenas machine to take that screenshot. Both times it got stuck at the same point. That picture was taken after 10+ minutes of waiting.

Thanks for the reply

Edit: oh I forgot to mention, all 8 of my WD Reds are plugged into an IBM m1015 card crossflashed to IT mode. So idk if that could have something to do with it...(although I haven't even had the chance to format them or anything yet...Maybe I'll try unplugging them and see if that fixes the problem...

EvanVanVan

Patron
I had been exhaustively testing my memory the past 36 hours, so I've just had a chance to keep trying things. I made an Ultimate Boot CD to run WD Lifeguard Diagnostics for DOS SMART tests on my drives. After loading up, the program came up with an error saying no drives found. Is that normal for drives plugged into a m1015 card? Do I have to plug them directly into the MB sata ports for the program to find them? I'm wondering if I've got a bad card or something...

Edit: I guess I should mention that I couldn't crossflash the m1015 card to IT mode on my supermicro mb or my personal sabertooth x79 machine. I used a HP Pavilion p6310f. Using these instructions: http://www.servethehome.com/ibm-serveraid-m1015-part-4/

Edit2: I'm wondering if WD Lifeguard isn't seeing my disks since I flashed the m1015 without the OptionROM bios?

EvanVanVan

Patron
Fixed! Wish I could edit the thread title...

EvanVanVan

Patron
Thanks man, other than the fact that it's there I'm not even sure why I hooked it up... At least now I know there's a fix if I need it in the future.

Thanks again for the tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.