freenas does not remember previous logging after update

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunSkilZZ

Explorer
hi,

i wanted to update my freenas to a new usb flash drive, i installed it and then uploaded my saved config to the new installation. only thing is that now al the previous logging like perhaps the amount of active days, or network usage are back to 0. is there a way that i can "import" the from the previous usb drive ?

Thanks

D

dlavigne

Did you upgrade a 32-bit version to a 64-bit version? If so, you can't.

Otherwise, which version did you upgrade from and what version did you upgrade to?

FunSkilZZ

Explorer
no 64bit -> 64bit
i had 9.2.1.6 RC2 on the first usb drive and i installed 9.2.1.7 on the new usb drive, (i installed it from an existing to a new)

D

dlavigne

The system dataset stuff changed between various 9.2.1.x releases. Check to see if you had an old .system dataset, it should have your old logging info.

FunSkilZZ

Explorer
the system dataset, is that the file you save before you do the update ? (sorry kind of a noob here :p )

D

dlavigne

No, it's the place where logs and reporting info go. Unfortunately, in the 9.2.1.x series, it fluctuated. Some versions didn't have it at all and wrote that stuff to /var/log, some versions made a dataset called .system, and some versions let you decide which pool to put it on.

To help try to figure out where the heck yours is... did you originally start with 9.2.1.6 as a fresh install, or was that version upgraded from a previous version? Do you have a directory named rrd in /var/log/ or in /mnt/yourvolumename/.system/?

FunSkilZZ

Explorer
oooh alright i get it now, wel i started from the 9.2.1.2 or 9.2.1.3 update, since then i always updated it trough the GUI, i do have a folder named rrd in /mnt/yourvolumename/.system/ but the rrd folder is empty

D

dlavigne

Bummer, it looks like the rrd data got lost somewhere along the way if there isn't also a copy in /var/log or elsewhere...

FunSkilZZ

Explorer
i'l look later tonight, currently i'm viewing over ftp and i did not sort that out 100%

FunSkilZZ

Explorer
i just checked again but in /var, i have 2 different logs. i have a log wich is a link to another level, and a log named log.2014 ..........
in this folder i have three files
userlog
utx.lastlogin
utx.log

i hope its these files :)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
No, the /var/log stuff is lost on shutdown. RRD data that is kept on reboot is in the file /data/rrd_dir.tar.bz2

FunSkilZZ

Explorer
so thats where my logging data is stored ? it seems useles to keep track of it, but its kinda helpful to calculate electricity costs :) an keep track of data usage

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It is. It's not "overly" useful for calculating electricity costs. If you really want to know the cost get a wattmeter and plug the server into that. It will give you hours and kwh used. That is useful.

FunSkilZZ

Explorer
i do have a wattmeter, yeah but i like to know how many days and such it has been online. can i transfer these files to my new instalation on the new usb drive

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Not really. It's requires some hackery and doesn't always work. If you upgrade to 9.2.1.7 and save the reporting data in the .system dataset it will save the data forever. So this whole problem with losing reporting data is solved once and for all.

FunSkilZZ

Explorer
so on the current usb drive i need to update to 9.2.1.7. then save my settings from the NAS.
on the new usb drive i install also 9.2.1.7 and load my settings and everything should work ?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Exactly! Just that easy!

Status
Not open for further replies.