Not open for further replies.

lhriscopez

Dabbler
AMD FX(tm)-4100 Quad-Core Processor
8gb of ddr3
two 2tb Hitachi drive
asrock 960gm/u3s3fx
windows 10 home

I have close to a permanent set up and have ironed out most issues but only one I cant get rid of.
Freenas and CIFS shares show up as folders in the network and I can throw files on the server. I can access the gui and plex after turning it on and off but out of nowhere with no change of settings its gone. If i use the ip in file explorer it just opens in a browser so I cant permanently map it in file explorer.

any help is appreciated!

lhriscopez

Dabbler
I found that if i turn off network discovery and turn it back on freenass will show up. Any ideas how I can keep from doing this? Or why it just disappears in the first place?

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
If you're talking about windows 10 seeing it when you click on 'network' in windows explorer, just give up. Windows NetBIOS is broken.

zoomzoom

Guru
windows 10 home

...If i use the ip in file explorer it just opens in a browser so I cant permanently map it in file explorer
You're probably using forward slashes, instead of back slashes.

\\192.168.1.1 not //192.168.1.1

If you're looking to map the share(s) as network shares, simply right click within This PC and select "Add Network Location", or if you want to map them as drives, right click on Network and select "Map Network Drive..." When you're asked to enter the network path, enter it as: \\192.168.1.1\MyNetworkShare

You'll be asked to sign in if the shares are password protected, otherwise the share will be immediately added. Most prefer the former to the latter, however mapping the share as a drive does have some caveats, as certain programs, like Google Drive, don't recognize a network location as a save location, but will accept a network share that's been mapped as a drive.

Last edited:

lhriscopez

Dabbler
You're probably using forward slashes, instead of back slashes.

\\192.168.1.1 not //192.168.1.1

If you're looking to map the share(s) as network shares, simply right click within This PC and select "Add Network Location", or if you want to map them as drives, right click on Network and select "Map Network Drive..." When you're asked to enter the network path, enter it as: \\192.168.1.1\MyNetworkShare

You'll be asked to sign in if the shares are password protected, otherwise the share will be immediately added. Most prefer the former to the latter, however mapping the share as a drive does have some caveats, as certain programs, like Google Drive, don't recognize a network location as a save location, but will accept a network share that's been mapped as a drive.

whoops, thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.