FreeNAS Crashes with error: pid 2309 (Python) was killed: out of Swap Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deazel929

Cadet
Hello there. I'm new to the FreeNAS forums, but I'm really eager to learn about it. I had a question/problem, and wondered if anyone who had more experience could help me. See, I have a computer with 128mbs of RAM from around 2000, (Not originally mine, got it off a relative) and would like to make it a local/home file server, however FreeNAS Crashes with errors:

freenas kernel: pid 2309 (Python), uid 0, was killed: out of Swap Space.
and freenas kernel: pid 2263 (Python), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space

My first assumption was it was out of RAM. I've used Linux for four years now, but I am new to BSD, or FreeBSD, and FreeNAS, so I'm not sure, what exactly, which is why I am asking here.

Also, it only crashes with that error after I check out the local IP it supplies. The GUI always returns with "A system error has occurred."

Does anyone know what could be causing this error?

Hardware:
Unknown, Windows 2000 Era motherboard
128mb RAM
AMD Athlon processor
FreeNAS installed on an 8GB Flash Drive
60GB Hard drive for storage

titan_rw

Guru
Really? 128 MEGS? of ram?

Please read the documentation on system requirements. 8 gig of ram is recommended.

Even without using ZFS, I'd say the absolute minimum ram required would be 2 gig.

ProtoSD

MVP
128MB's of RAM is *WAY* too little! You need at least 1GB just to experiment, and at least 2GB if you want to try UFS. Your hardware is much too old and really not worth doing anything serious with FreeNAS.

Deazel929

Cadet
Alright, thanks guys. I thought I'd at least confirm my suspicions! lol I had read the recommended requirements, although I had also read other people had gotten it to work on 128Mbs of RAM so I thought it was worth a try. I'll try it again with 2Gbs. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.