Freenas Build Suggestions for max CIFS speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoSx

Cadet
So I am planning to do a Freenas RaidZ2 build

Drives: 6 - 2TB WD RED (Maybe 3TB) (2 of the drives capacity lost to parity)
Case: LIAN LI PC-Q25B (love the look)
MB: Asus P8H77I (6 sata on board itx not many choices) It has the 8111f but I figured I would try to bring in the driver for it into freenas 8.2 and if it didnt work I would get an Intel Nic)
RAM: 8 or 16GB ($35 vs $70 in price will double the ram help transfer speeds?)
CPU: Here is where I have questions. I will be doing mostly CIFS shares and I want to max my throughput so around 100MB/s since I have gigabit everything. I ran my entire house. Which CPU will I need minimum to accomplish this. I also want to save power since this will be on 24/7/365 minus power outages.
I am looking at g630t vs i3-2120t vs i3-2120 (no t) I am leaning to the t series because of 35W vs 65W and I can't change any voltage settings on this MB. I also plan on running a few other things on the machine like serviio which will do some transcoding potentially.

Which processor is best to saturate my gigabit network and possible throw in some transcoding. Also does the 35W vs 65W chips make a huge difference?

noee

Dabbler
FWIW, I have a old M3A (SataII) with the Atheros GbE and when I copy from FreeNAS hard drive to client SSD, I consistently get >90MB/s. Server is only 4GB RAM (2 1TB Samsung, 2 500Gb Samsung), UFS, with an old Athlon BE-2400 (2.3Ghz). My two wired client machines (CIFS) have intel NICs. Currently running FreeNAS nightly 8.3.1 b12174.

Status
Not open for further replies.