"FreeNAS Build" and "OS Version" What's the Difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDPsGM

Explorer
I have been tinkering, on and off, with FreeNAS for a while, but I would still consider myself to still be quite green to the whole thing.

One thing I have always wondered about is why FreeNAS includes BOTH of these sets of info in the System Information tab in the GUI:

FreeNAS Build:
FreeNAS-8.0.2-RELEASE-amd64 (8288)

and

OS Version:
FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE-p3

See attached image.

This has confused me for quite a while -- to the point where I just have to ask ===> WHY?

If I am correct, with regards to upgrades etc, etc, we should only be looking at the "FreeNAS Build" number when it comes to deciding what to do with regards to Upgrades, etc. Is that Correct?

I have never done and upgrade, but I am about to try it (no critical data at risk - just test data), but I want to learn how to do it SAFELY for the future.

I am testing to see if I "get it" (and yes, I am reading the manual cover to cover as has been driven home clearly here:
http://forums.freenas.org/showthrea...explaining-VDev-zpool-ZIL-and-L2ARC-for-noobs!

In all the reading I have ALREADY done, I have had nothing clearly explain this topic to me, and it bugs the crap out of me not knowing why it is there.

Comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• What version am I running.jpg
    What version am I running.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 220

warri

Guru
Short answer: FreeNAS is build upon the FreeBSD operating system.

But you are right - for FreeNAS related upgrades etc. only the FreeNAS build version matters.
For advanced users, certain system modifications and plugins the underlying FreeBSD version might be important to know though. For example, with enough coding knowledge you probably could build a FreeNAS version which runs upon FreeBSD 9 - which again offers different/advanced functionalities for FreeNAS to utilize.

TDPsGM

Explorer
Thanks warri

Status
Not open for further replies.