FreeNAS backup to NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arara

Cadet
I'm using FreeNAS as my main file server, but I would like to make an "offsite backup".

Right now, I have an ethernet cable running to a detached shed where there is an old 3TB Seagate NAS. I would like to copy periodically (every night/weekend) all of my files but I'm not sure the best way to automate it.

I don't care about file permissions, and care just a little bit about speed. Therefore, I would like to avoid going through another computer. Anyone knows how could I set up a script with cron job that could copy all those files (about 600GB) and send a simple log by email or save it in one of the folders?

Thank-you!

Grinas

Contributor
Try using RSYNC. do a search of the forum and you should find a lot of help in the area

Arara

Cadet
Try using RSYNC. do a search of the forum and you should find a lot of help in the area

Thank you for the suggestion, but the Seagate NAS doesn't support rsync... It's nothing other than an SMB share on the network with user/password.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
If the Seagate NAS is actually an SMB share, you can mount that share as a directory on your FreeNAS. This would be a command line operation.
I am not going to try to recreate this as it is a documented feature, here is a reference:
https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/mounting-a-nas-with-freebsd-mount_smbfs/
Once you mount the remote file system, you can create a cron job to rsync to the mounted directory as if it were a local directory.

Status
Not open for further replies.