FreeNAS as HOST for VMs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

freedt

Cadet
Hey Folks!

[feel free to skip this paragraph to get right to my question]
I'm completely new to FreeNAS and haven't even tried around on a VM with it. I will soon have a powerful PC available that I have no special use for and always wanted a good solution for storing my private data, so I think it is time to get my hands dirty. But I feel like occupying the entire machine for my private data would be a little waist of horse power and I also want to try around with web- and mailservers. So I thought about virtualisation.

I'm aware about the problems with running FreeNAS AS as virtual machine, but I was wondering if I can use the underlaying FreeBSD to install some kind of Type-2 Hypervisor (like Virtualbox) to run VMs on.

I think this would be a great solution for my needs and am looking forward to read your words of wisdom :)

Kind regards
freedt

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Well, its supposedly possible. But I don't think I've seen anyone on the forums actually get virtualbox running in a jail. If they did, it would make big news in these parts because so many people would jump on the opportunity.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Huh, I would have expected that to work in a jail from the port.... VirtualBox has been pretty easy to install on FreeBSD for years.

freedt

Cadet
Ahh.. that's regrettable. I have decided to take a step away from freenas until it is able to host virtual machines OR is capable of working power saving mechanisms.

Thanks for your time anyway!

Whattteva

Wizard
Technically, the jails are already pseudo VM's... albeit with a fixed OS that you can't change. Although, I've heard that a Linux one is in the works.

kfnas

Cadet
Hello, does anybode successfully have installed Virtualbox/XEN/KVN as host in the Freenas system either in jail? Any install notes? kernel modules?

Status
Not open for further replies.