NFS vs iSCSI for backups of ESXi VMs

Status
Not open for further replies.

dairyengguy

Dabbler
I am currently experimenting with FreeNAS as storage for holding snapshot-based backups of my ESXi hosted VMs. I have been reading about NFS vs iSCSI and had some questions about them.

This is the thread I have been reading: https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...xi-nfs-so-slow-and-why-is-iscsi-faster.12506/

Basically I understand that NFS with sync writes enabled is a safer option when running your VMs from the datastore, and is almost absolutely necessary for keeping the data safe on a running VM. How will this affect my situation in which I am essentially just copying snapshots from another datastore to FreeNAS? Is this only going to be an issue in the event of a power outage? Or do I need to invest in a good SLOG and use NFS with sync writes enabled?

Thanks in advance!

edit: for clarity.

sfcredfox

Patron
This is what comes to my mind:

I'm thinking about what the snapshot actually is. While it's only a backup, it's something you expect to be accurate if you were to restore from it. If you end up with a compromised live dataset and an inconsistent backup data set, you're still screwed.

IMO, I would recommend following the advice of setting the SYNC to always so you know that the snapshot data is fully written and in a consistent state for what your host/originator thinks is there.

And yes, you'll want a good SLOG device. Everyone recommends a capacitor backup enterprise SSD for the SLOG since most SSDs cache things before writing to the slower flash.

dairyengguy

Dabbler
I definitely agree with you. However, if I am only risking data corrupted backups on a power outage, I can live with that. If there is a power outage during a backup, I will be ditching that backup set anyway and immediately creating a new one once power is restored. That is assuming that I am not recovering an older, known good backup.

However, if there is further risk (perhaps I don't fully understand the difference here), then I will definitely go with NFS and a SLOG for performance.

As an aside, are there any enterprise SSDs that are affordable and recommended here? Or even better is there a link to a thread recommending some?

dairyengguy

Dabbler
As an aside, are there any enterprise SSDs that are affordable and recommended here? Or even better is there a link to a thread recommending some?

Nm. Did some more searching and notice that the Intel S3700 is recommended frequently. Is that still a good choice? Looks relatively cheap for some peace of mind.

Mlovelace

Guru
If you are copying snapshots for backup purposes why the concern for performance? I would force sync, copy the snapshots and see if the times are acceptable. If not then add the SLOG device.

dairyengguy

Dabbler
If you are copying snapshots for backup purposes why the concern for performance? I would force sync, copy the snapshots and see if the times are acceptable. If not then add the SLOG device.

I am running iSCSI as a test right now, and my backups all run in about 3 hours barring any complications. I am going on the assumption (from previous tests) that NFS with sync enabled will be about half the speed. While 6 hours isn't terrible, I much prefer the 3, especially considering room for expansion.

TL;DR Basically already did what you suggested and decided that if I go sync, I need a SLOG

Status
Not open for further replies.