FreeNAS and trunk port

Status
Not open for further replies.

dellpe

Cadet
Cisco WS-C3560X-24T-L switch, freenas 8.3. on server with 2 nics, can't talk across switchport in trunk mode must be in access mode. And why does DHCP setup both nics on same subnet but gui forces different?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I can't help you with your network problem. That's totally your own game since it's very specific to your situation.

But, the 2 NICs on the same subnet.. that's easy. Proper networking dictates that you shouldn't have a computer with 2 NICs that are both on the same subnet. Yes, Windows and some other OSes make it work in a way that many people are satisfied with the result. But technically it's not proper networking and creates other problems. In fact, we've had people complain for longer than I've been here that the did put 2 NICs on the same subnet and then complained that it didn't work how the expected. They actually wanted FreeBSD to "break" networking to make it work the way they wanted. ;)

ser_rhaegar

Patron
Post a "show run int [int here]" and a "show vlan" for both interfaces in code brackets. Also what vlan are they supposed to be communicating on?

Ronan McGurn

Cadet
I have a similar issue.

interface GigabitEthernet0/23
description FreeNAS iSCSI
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport mode trunk
interface GigabitEthernet0/24
description FreeNAS iSCSI
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport mode trunk

Ronan McGurn

Cadet
Right, I am aware of this, but isn't there a way in FreeNAS to tag traffic? I would have thought that was the reason for the VLAN option in FreeNAS, as when using an access port, you have no need to tag vlan traffic...I guess what I'm wondering is if there is a way to tag vlans in FreeNAS, and if so, how would this be accomplished? Thank you for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.