FreeNAS and Clonezilla - Warning sda appears used, you can fix the GPT

martinf

Cadet
Hello,

after using different NAS soloutions over the years, it was time to setup a new up-to-date NAS. After searching the net, I have selected FreeNAS and have built my new NAS: Pentium Silver J5005 - 32 GB RAM - 300 GB System Drive - 3x 6TB Data Drives

The installation of FreeNAS 11.3-U4.1 was stright forward and the configuration of the main functionalities also (e.g. ZFS Pool, SSH Certificates, NFS, SMB, UPS). I am really impressed by FreeNAS and how professional this free solution is! Minor configurations challenges are e.g. to send eMails but this I will figure out later.

Now I want to create an image of the system drive sda with Clonezilla 2.6.7.-28-amd64 and I get following warning:

"Warning: Not all of the space available to /dev/sda appears used, you can fix the GPT to use all of the space or continue with the current setting?"

After searching the internet one recommendation is to use the option -K1 with Clonezilla, which "create partition table proportionally (ok for MBR format, not GPT)". And here I have stopped.

1) Is this the correct solution for using Clonezilla with FreeNAS because I do not want to crash FreeNAS?
2) Which software do you recommend making an image from the system drive (with compression, encryption and to a NFS or SMB drive)?

BR Martin

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Imaging isn't the recommended method for duplicating a FreeNAS system. What's supported is to clean install to the 2nd system, and then upload a config downloaded from the origin system.

Dan Tudora

Patron
hello
BUT, if you really, really want to do that:
in clonezilla live in the shell with an USB HDD connected
dd if=/dev/sda of=/mount point of your usb hdd path/freenas-hdd.img
recomanded
man dd
success

martinf

Cadet
Hello,

thank you.

DD is due to the missing compression not really an option. Well, only if really, really - as you said.

So I will stay with the config backup within FreeNAS.

BR Martin