SOLVED FreeNAS 9.3 + 9.10 (Stable) Unable to use ssh: edit /etc/rc.conf first

Status
Not open for further replies.

devnullius

Patron
This looks like a catch 22 to me. I had this problem both before and after the upgrade. When I use puTTY (Windows) to connect, I get a short connection refused.

FreeNAS console shows this error when I start the service:
notifier cannot 'reload' sshd. Set sshd_enable to YES in /etc/rc.conf or use 'onereload'

But I'll be needing ssh to edit rc.conf, no? :)

I'm trying to connect both with devvie & root (I enabled that option), but still, nothing gets asked. Just the refusal :/

Any tips? :) I've been looking at https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/setting-up-ssh.13698/, but as far as I can tell it should work out-of-the-box :(

Peace!

Devnullius

Last edited:

devnullius

Patron
yes :) Like I said, I enabled the root option too. But when I turn it on, the console error mentioned appears. I re-edited my post.

danb35

Hall of Famer
You shouldn't need to edit rc.conf--the system should make whatever changes are needed there, and if it isn't doing that properly, it's a bug. And no, you don't necessarily need ssh to edit rc.conf; you could do it at the console, or using the Shell button in the GUI--but again, you shouldn't need to do that.

devnullius

Patron
Ah, thanks for the tip. Will take a look at the console. Pretty obvious solution now you mentioned it :) Guess I stumbled upon a bug then :/

Peace!

devnullius

Patron
Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
vi would do, or ee, or nano. If it's already enabled, but won't start, that sounds like a bug to me. There's a button in the GUI to report a bug, which will attach a copy of your debug file--might help the iX folks track down what's going on.

devnullius

Patron
Hmm... I might be screwing up after all and maybe I need to subtract the bug report. I'm currently looking at 'running sanity check on sshd configuration'. Now, when I connect I get greeted with the login prompt :) I think my main fault was I kept focussing on the left column and somehow forgot to actually enable ssh in the upper services link. Pretty sure I did it before; but ok, my bad. For now :)

Peace!

Devvie

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Those are normal messages when changing the settings on SSH if the SSH services is off.

If you are setting the settings for SSH, then trying to start the service and it fails, then we have a problem. I don't see any evidence we have a problem though. I only see you mentioning the message that says it cannot reload ssh, which is not unexpected.

Status
Not open for further replies.