FreeNAS 9.2.1-BETA now ready for download!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
So the official answer is SMB4 does NOT have multichannel support(aka SMB3) yet?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I think jpaetzel said that the phase driver version for mpsX devices was upgraded. If it was the new version should be CLEARLY displayed on the 9.2.1 announcements as not having firmware and drivers match can result in data loss.

ChrisUK1978

Dabbler
Hi,

Samba 4.0.1 and Win 8.1 - pulling 45MB/sec from older disks with server-side copy!

I'm rarely amazed these days, but getting that stellar leap on functionality in a x.x.1 revision update, and getting it right first time, is nothing short of legendary.

Nice work guys!

All best,
Chris.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
So the official answer is SMB4 does NOT have multichannel support(aka SMB3) yet?

Please don't confuse the issue! The protocol is SMB, the implementation is Samba, and Samba4 does not support multichannel.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Doh. You are right jgreco. I even knew better!

John Neibel

Cadet
Totally broke my CIFS share, service wouldn't start at all. After 8 hours of trying had to go back to 9.2 rc2. Upgrade to 9.2 I could not get iscsi to work, worked great in 9.2.1-Beta but had to go back.

J

jkh

Totally broke my CIFS share, service wouldn't start at all. After 8 hours of trying had to go back to 9.2 rc2. Upgrade to 9.2 I could not get iscsi to work, worked great in 9.2.1-Beta but had to go back.

You need to file a bug report. We have both CIFS and iSCSI working in 9.2.1-BETA (and for that matter in 9.2.0-RELEASE) at the shop, so if there's something unique about your setup that causes this not to work, we need to know the particulars or we're likely to simply say "works on our machines!" since without more info, that's about the only conclusion we CAN draw. Thanks.

J

jkh

I seen the broken cifs in the 23 nightly build but not in the 9.2.1 beta.

Please file bug explaining how to reproduce the problem and any messages you see. I will screen into 9.2.1-RC so we fix it before doing the release candidate version.

Magnus33

Patron
Planning too iam just somewhat slower with both wrists in a cast.

Edit: done with plenty of spelling mistakes since i swear voice dictation things iam talking with a speech inpedament sheesh.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I noticed that compression is now defaulted to on and lz4 is set to the compression of choice. Sorry, but I disagree with that option. The default should be disabled.

Yes, I've read about lz4 and all the great benefits. But enabling features should be an option *I* choose to enable if I want it. I can guarantee all of the Atom/P4/"Green CPU" users(and we have quite a few) are going to have serious problems with LZ4.

J

jkh

We shall just have to see. We have yet to see any problems with LZ4, even on the lower-powered CPUs. Also, as you yourself like to say, you have to build a FreeNAS system with at least reasonably capable hardware to see good results. We also didn't prevent someone from turning it *off* if their systems are just too weak, but turning it on by default means that the majority of folks will be able to benefit from a feature they probably didn't even know existed, and we design for the majority, not the minority.

I will also point out that the compression algorithm is pretty smart and "short-circuits" itself out of the way if it's not able to be effective with certain kinds of data. It's more like saying "if you can compress, use lz4, otherwise don't."

cyberjock

Inactive Account
I already put a ticket in.. 4030.

kingcharles

Dabbler
Not sure if this one is just on my box but I tried the new (old) manual volume manager and successfully created a new RAIDZ volume from 3 disks (each a different size) but it does not show up in the alarm panel (the traffic light)

Status
Not open for further replies.