FreeNAS 9.2.1-BETA now ready for download!

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jkh

Hi folks,
Happy New Year!
After a full month of ALPHA releases, during which time many bugs were found and fixed, we now feel that FreeNAS 9.2.1 is ready for its first public debut!
You should, of course, run any BETA (or even RC) build at your own risk, and on non-mission-critical data, since it obviously has not been deemed fully release-ready (or this would be 9.2.1-RELEASE!) and may suffer from any number of issues!
What’s new in this build:
  • Samba (SMB/CIFS support) upgraded to version 4.1.4. This adds support for SMB3, the ability for FreeNAS to be a Windows Domain Controller, and advanced features like server-side copy support in Windows 2012 and later, along with multiple years worth of improvements over the version of Samba that shipped in 9.2.0. It also enables SMB protocol version 3. Previous versions of FreeNAS limited samba to SMB2 because of random crashes that would occur using SMB3.
  • Added the LSI 12G SAS driver as a module to the build. This can be enabled by adding a tunable for mpslsi3_load with a value of YES. This driver is still under development and not yet committed to FreeBSD. It is provided for beta testing only. For production use, please consider using a 6G SAS adapter, such as the LSI 9207.
  • Fixed a bug with netatalk that prevented share browsing from working in the finder on OSX. Also enabled options for fuller-fidelity AFP copies with Mac OS ACLs (ACEs) now stored as ZFS ACLs.
    Removed the non functional share password field from AFP shares.
  • Switched from Avahi to mDNSResponder for Zeroconf network configuration, giving better Mac interoperability for share browsing.
  • Brought back the FreeNAS 8.x volume manager as a "Manual Setup" option.
    This volume manager allows manual vddv building and offers no seat belts. Unless you know exactly what you are doing and why you are doing it, using the standard volume manager is highly recommended by the development team!
  • Fixed a bug that prevented building an encrypted volume using multi-path devices.
  • Update django (used by the WebUI) to 1.6 and dojo to 1.9.2
  • Add reporting graphs that show individual disk activity.
  • Add the following ZFS features: enabled_txg, hole_birth, extensible_dataset bookmarks
  • Add trafshow to the image. This utility gives a CLI view of connections and usage to the FreeNAS box.
  • Fix kernel module load for fuse. This is needed for importing NTFS volumes.
  • Add the ability to use a keytab for AD joins. This eliminates the need to use the AD Administrator account to join FreeNAS to AD, closing a long standing issue of needing the AD Admin password in the FreeNAS configuration database.
  • Miscellaneous bugs that didn’t make the cut-off for 9.2.0
Bugs currently filed against 9.2.1 can be found here: https://bugs.freenas.org/projects/freenas/issues?query_id=13
Please feel free to file bugs against this build, taking care to note in your bug report that you saw it in 9.2.1-BETA and also note the datestamp of the build, since we will continuing to release 9.2.1-BETA nightly builds and it’s otherwise very hard to tell which build you saw the problem in if you don’t tell us.
Please download it now and check it out!
Enjoy!
- The FreeNAS Development Team

gearhead

Contributor
I installed the beta release. The server is attached to a switch. I tried to set ip address to 192.168.0.3/16 but freenas would not save it.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Don't forget the encryption data loss bug. Had a couple of users get hit with that one. ;)

Time to upgrade my test system and play around!

J

jkh

I installed the beta release. The server is attached to a switch. I tried to set ip address to 192.168.0.3/16 but freenas would not save it.

Huh! You saved this in the Network interfaces setup screen? Any console messages pop out when you tried this?

J

jkh

Don't forget the encryption data loss bug. Had a couple of users get hit with that one. ;)

You mean "Fixed a bug that prevented building an encrypted volume using multi-path devices"? Got a bug # to cite so I can see what you're talking about, specifically? Thanks!

cyberjock

Inactive Account

gearhead

Contributor
yes in the network interface setup screen. no messages. I tried a several times. I even rebooted several times and tried again with no success.

Magnus33

Patron
I am assuming the plugin upgrade fix didn't make it into the beta as planed and wont show tell the final?

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Why not find and check the ticket for your issue?

Magnus33

Patron
I did and i tried the upgrade process which stalls out at 50% like before.

So its one of three options.

Not included which is why i asked.

Not fixed

Or something wrong with my free install.

So i did the smart thing and asked if it was since saying its suppose to make it in on a ticket doesn't mean it did and its not in the above list.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Right. I just don't know the ticket number or the precise issue you are having or I'd look myself. I wasn't trying to throw the problem into your lap. Sorry if it sounded that way.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
It looks like they have a fix they want to have tested before closing the ticket.

emk2203

Guru
I have an interesting bug with the beta. Of 26 datasets, all set browseable via CIFS, only the alphabetically first 12 show up in the Windows 8.1 network browser, and the remaining ones are invisible. None of them accept my credentials.

Cosmo_Kramer

Contributor
Hello,
Is IE11 supported in this version of FreeNAS? I know this isn't a priority but, I'd love to be able to change settings on my server with my Surface 2 (only supports IE11).
The issue is illustrated in this photo (9.2.0):
Free_NAS_IE11.png

It seems like support is most of the way there. I don't really care about the side bar. I'm just really interested in getting the OK and Cancel buttons working on Service configuration/Decrypting drives.

I'd really appreciate your work on this. I'd make a donation too if that'd help you guys out with this.

Thanks for your time.

warri

Guru
Bug #3455 is not closed yet, so I'd assume not all compatibility problems are solved yet.
There was an update of Django and Dojo, though. Maybe they brought in some fixes.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
My recommendation Magnus33 is to get in IRC and look for Jordan Hubbard or one of the devs in IRC to help you with the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.