FreeNAS 9.10.2 will not boot (has worked for a couple years now will not)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VWThing

Cadet
Intel Pentium G840 @2.80 GHz 64-Bit
8 GB memory
1 hard drive 1TB WD10EFRX WD Red NAS Hard drive
Lenovo mother board PC was a Lenovo Think center M71e
Everything is just what is on the mother board No extra network card or controllers
FreeNAS 9.10.2

I had this setup running for a couple years and now it does not want to boot up. I am booting from a USB Drive. Have lots of information on this unit I need to get off. When I turn the unit on it will start to boot and then gets to

Nov 17 16:43:01 init: can’t exec/bin/sh for ect/rc: Input/output error
Enter full pathname of shell or return for /bin/sh:

Boot screen.jpg

Then the USB drive flashes and that is as far as it goes.

So a couple question
1. Is there a way to get the data from the hard drive if it will not boot? Install it in another PC to read it? USB adapter?
2. Should I try to install the freenas software on another jump drive?
I am not as computer savvy as a lot of folks but need a little help. I have a lot of data on this unit and would like to get it working again or recover what is on there.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you

kdragon75

Wizard

DrKK

FreeNAS Generalissimo

VWThing

Cadet
I have installed 9.10.2-U6 on another flash drive and the box is up and running again and I able to log into the control panel. I have imported the storage volume and that seem to be alright. Will I now need to setup the users and groups again? It does not show up on my network list is there something that I need to do to fix that or will that work once I set up the users? Sorry for the dumb questions I just don't want to do something and loose the data I have on the drive. I think I will try to get another hard drive to back it up periodically. Thanks for the help

VWThing

Cadet
So I have it up and running again and have backed up my data. Thank you for the help much appreciated. one more question. can I backup the data or configuration so if it happens again I will not need to do a complete setup? is it possible to import I guess maybe the config file. Not sure if I am asking the correct question. But thanks for the advise and help.

kdragon75

Wizard
FreeNAS has a great User Guide (Version 9.10.2 linked) that covers most of these topics. I strongly recommend looking into it.

Status
Not open for further replies.