FreeNAS 9.1 keeps crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

cliffboss

Dabbler
Hello,

I installed FreeNAS, but it keeps crash randomly on me.

I have had it crash when transferring file and when doing basic configuration through the UI.

Steps I did when I installed it.
  1. Auto Import my raidZ volum
  2. Imported my single disk for storage
  3. Setup my shares
  4. Configured where my jails would be located
  5. Installed the Transmission plugin
After that I went to configure the permissions on the dataset, I noticed it hung, when i check my other monitor I noticed FreeNAS reboted.

I have tested the memory and CPU and there are no issue there.

Anyhelp would be great :)

Edit 1:

Could it be the jail? The install I did before ran solid for many hours doing a scrub with no problems, but now I can keep the system up for more then an hour or so.

J

jkh

One way to at least narrow things down would be to delete the transmission plugin and see if this keeps happening. You might also upgrade to 9.1.1-RC2 which was just released today (see announcement section of forums); it fixed a few issues with jails. None that should have panic'd the box, but it's at least worth upgrading anyway!

J

jkh

9.1.0-RELEASE -> 9.1.1-RC2 -> 9.1.1-RELEASE (not out yet) - correct!

cliffboss

Dabbler
I just installed the RC2 and it is looking better.

I also bought a new usb stick for it, usb3 make a huge difference in boot time :)

My plan is to use it for a bit with out any plugin and if it seems stable, then add the transmission plug in. If after that it starts crashing again then I know it is the plugin/jail, if not mabe it was the usb stick.

cliffboss

Dabbler
Hmmm spoke to soon :(

Just crashed again. I guess my first question would be what is the easiest way to persist the logs after a crash or a reboot?

Simple as writing a script that copies /var/log/messages to disk and setting up in cron?

survive

Behold the Wumpus
Hi cliffboss,

Set up a remote syslog server on a different box. A Linux or BSD box would be a natural for this or you can get a copy of the free Kiwi syslog server for windows.

I would think there's something particularly dodgy about your system if it's spontaneously rebooting & not reporting some trap information on the screen.

-Will

cliffboss

Dabbler
So I set up a syslog server and got it logging. See the attached file.

At 13:12 it reboots.

Weird thing is it logs for a bit longer and the whole PC just freezes up. Had to do a hard reset for it to come back.

Background Info about the hardware:
CPU: AMD A6 5400K
MB: ASUS F2A85-M
RAM: 8GB

HardDisks: 5x WD green 2TB and one old WD 6400GB

The green drives are in RAIDZ2, which I know is not optimal, but from reading around it looks like it is only a performance hit.

Attachments

• fileserver.txt
    165 KB · Views: 230

cliffboss

Dabbler
Just an update.

I tried disabling the USB 3 ports, but that did not seem to help much.

hotalot

Dabbler
Power supply perhaps? If your system crashes under load power supply and cables may the culprit.

cliffboss

Dabbler
Nope, brand new power supply. I have also stressed the system with it.

I have re installed it again. This time through Linux, mabe the window utility is buggy.

I am testing to see if it will crash without doing anything to the system. If it stays stable, I will import my raidz array.

cliffboss

Dabbler
Another update.

Booted it up this morning it, it remote logs for about 10min, and then stops. I check the machine and it was locked up.

cliffboss

Dabbler
So good news, I think I fixed it :)

I ended up turning off:
CPB Mode and C6 Mode in the BIOS. So far rock stable 24h :D

Status
Not open for further replies.