Freenas 8.2 p1 - minidlna not scanning for files

Status
Not open for further replies.

g_betiuk

Cadet
As long as I'm a newbie to this forum I would like to say hello to all of you. Here's my problem: after using FN8 for quite a while yesterday I upgraded my home server to 8.2 and installed two plugins: transmission (which works great) and minidlna. The latter doesn't seem to sync its database (its data dir is set to "/mnt/Pool_1/Muzyka", with one test MP3 album in there). Of course I have set the checkmark on "Rescan on (re)start", however no matter how many times I restart minidlna alone or the whole server my UPNP clients (WMP 12 and Foobar2000 1.1.7) show no files on the server. On the other hand, the same clients worked flawlessly when connecting to minidlna installed on Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS - don't know the version of the package, it was just installed via apt-get from default Ubuntu repositories. Could you possibly help me resolve the problem?

paleoN

Wizard
First guess is wrong permissions on the mountpoint. Check the minidlna.log inside the jail and see how many files minidlna scanned. If it's zero you have incorrect permissions or the wrong directory configured.

jjstecchino

Contributor
As long as I'm a newbie to this forum I would like to say hello to all of you. Here's my problem: after using FN8 for quite a while yesterday I upgraded my home server to 8.2 and installed two plugins: transmission (which works great) and minidlna. The latter doesn't seem to sync its database (its data dir is set to "/mnt/Pool_1/Muzyka", with one test MP3 album in there). Of course I have set the checkmark on "Rescan on (re)start", however no matter how many times I restart minidlna alone or the whole server my UPNP clients (WMP 12 and Foobar2000 1.1.7) show no files on the server. On the other hand, the same clients worked flawlessly when connecting to minidlna installed on Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS - don't know the version of the package, it was just installed via apt-get from default Ubuntu repositories. Could you possibly help me resolve the problem?

The problem is with the media path selection in minidlna plugin setup screen. The directory tree erroneously make you select the path directly from the freenas filesystem instead of a jail mount point. Indeed the main filesystem is not accessible from the jail so there are no files to be found.

Just create a mount point linked to your media directory in the main filesystem and than use that mount point directly in the media path box.

To create a mount point I do the following:
- open a command shell
- type jls, note the number associated to your jail
- type jexec -u root (jail number from previous command without parentesis) csh
you should be inside the jail.
- create a directory which is going to be your mount point inside the jail. You would expect that when you create a mount point from the GUI this step would be done for you, but it is not. To create a directory type mkdir /mp3 for example
- for good measure do a chmod 777 /mp3 so permissions on this directory are not an issue
- exit the jail and close the shell.
At this point go to plugin/management/add mount point in the GUI.
in the source browse to your mp3 directory in the main file system
in the destination browse to the /mp3 you just created in the jail
Click ok and the mount point should now work.
now in the minidlna configuration screen just type /mp3 in your media directory box. dont use the directory selection tree which is wrong. click ok and restart the plugin.
You will see some disk activity as your music tree is scanned and your music should be now accessible

Dont know how to create a ticket but there is clearly a bug in minidlna configuration screen and the mount point creation should also create the destination directory in the jail with the right permissions.

g_betiuk

Cadet
So I was right in thinking that there's simply a problem with the directory selection box - thank you @jjstecchino! I even went through creating a mountpoint for minidlna (just like in transmission's case) but pointed to the wrong directory as destination - navigated all the way down through the tree).

g_betiuk

Cadet
It's just a case of showing wrong directory tree (as @jjstecchino wrote), so simply creating mountpoints and pointing the media directory (and, in my case, database directory) to the local, in-jail end of the mountpoint solved the case - minidlna is working perfectly for me.

wouterpelser

Cadet
Hi there.

I finally got minidnla to work.
My Xbox and Android devices see my first mount point.
pictures

Here is my problem.
I have x2 mirrored volumes 1TB ea
I have shares on both volumes.
eg. movies, music, kids_movies,pictures
I don't have all my media clumped under one share.

When I created the first mount, Upnp clients see the media.
When I create other mount points it might choose to see the second or third mount.
On the other hand it seems to go bonkers and just look at the last mount ignoring the first.

What am I doing wrong.
Should the additional mount points be listed somewhere else?
I want to avoid moving all my media under one share.
I've got my media backed up to carbonite and this took a long long time.

Thanks for clearing up that path issue.

wouterpelser

Cadet
No Go

Install the minidlna plugin from 8.3.0-BETA1

I made the upgrade including upgrading the jail and plugins.
I still get the same problem.
MiniDNLA will only see the last share i point it to.
Taking the plunge and going to see how it fares if I move all my media under 1 share.

oscartdc

Cadet
Have the same issue too. I need to mount multiple sources from different drives.

Hi there.

I finally got minidnla to work.
My Xbox and Android devices see my first mount point.
pictures

Here is my problem.
I have x2 mirrored volumes 1TB ea
I have shares on both volumes.
eg. movies, music, kids_movies,pictures
I don't have all my media clumped under one share.

When I created the first mount, Upnp clients see the media.
When I create other mount points it might choose to see the second or third mount.
On the other hand it seems to go bonkers and just look at the last mount ignoring the first.

What am I doing wrong.
Should the additional mount points be listed somewhere else?
I want to avoid moving all my media under one share.
I've got my media backed up to carbonite and this took a long long time.

Thanks for clearing up that path issue.

joeschmuck

Old Man
There is an easy work around...

I will use the default /media fold for the example and you can change it to whatever suits your needs...

In the jail you create the following directory tree:
/media/movies
/media/photos
/media/music

Now for your mount points you just point to the proper folder but only 1 folder can be pointed to.

If you have say family photos in more than 1 directory (two mount points) then create
/media/photos1
/media/photos2

And create the mount points appropriately.

MiniDLNA must be setup per the default directory of /media and it will scan all the subfolders automatically.

Problem semi-fixed. It will be nice to see the mount points fixed someday. At a minimum there should be a warning whenever there is an overlap so the users are not troubleshooting a known issue.

-Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.