FreeNAS 8.2.0 Beta 2 plugin service cannot start

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noodle

Dabbler
Hi Forum,

I'm testing FreeNAS 8.2.0 Beta 2. I create two dataset under /mnt/tank, /mnt/tank/Plugins for archive, /mnt/tank/transmission for transmission plugin. And upload the pbi file. Everything looks ok here. But I cannot start plugin service. /var/log/message report: "/mnt/tank/transmission/transmission/dev: No such file or directory.". Ok, I created it manually, and tried again. this time: "jail: getpwnam: root: No such file or directory".

Did I missed something? I searched /etc/rc.conf, no jail defined.

Thanks

Noodle

Noodle

Dabbler
Basically, other than "plugins_jail", no plugin working. Do I had to install other plugin on "plugins_jail"? How exactly it works?

William Grzybowski

Wizard
iXsystems
Err, what pbi did you upload? And how?

Did you setup the plugins jail? Uploading the plugins_jail.pbi?

Noodle

Dabbler
Thanks for reply guys. Protosd, I watched your video before I start my test. Great Video BTW. However your video only cover how to install plugin jails, which works for me too. But when I try to install Transmission plugin, firefly plugin and so on, no of them works. Help me to understand how plugin work. Let's say if I need install transmission plugin, do I had to install plugin_jail first? after I install plugin_jail, how do I install rest? Use same "plugin config"? If so, install to same jail path, same jail name? or give it another? Sorry for newbie questions.

William, I tried all of them. I followed protosd's video guide, plugin_jail works, but I don't know what to do after that.

ProtoSD

MVP
Hi Noodle,

You need to have the Plugin Jail before adding any other plugins. I need to make another video for adding plugins, but there are going to be changes in beta 3 and I wanted to wait so I didn't need to make the video twice. I did find a bug I wasn't able to recreate last night where I couldn't get the dialog for adding a plugin after creating the jail.

After installing the plugin jail, you can either click the plugin icon on the bar at the top of the screen, or click on "Plugins" below "Services", and then click "Control Plugins" and you should get and Add dialog for adding other plugins to the plugin jail.

After that you should get a small popup that asks for the filename of the plugin and the SHA256 for it.

When that finishes, make sure the "enable" box is checked after clicking the "Edit" button for that plugin.
When that is done, expand the Services branch and look below the UPS service.
There you should see the plugin name and there should be a start/stop etc. for that plugin.

You can also open a "Shell" from the GUI and look inside the plugin jail to check setting and see if the plugin is running.

I showed how to do that in the video.

Just click on the "Shell" icon in the GUI and when the terminal window opens type "jexec 1 csh"

Now you're inside the Plugin jail, you can do a "ps ax" to see the running processes.

To close the terminal window, type "exit" twice or click the "X" in the top corner of the window to close it.

Noodle

Dabbler
thank you so much. I checked comments under your youtube video and found out how to install rest plugins. Now I have transmission plugin installed under plugin_filas. Even though transmission is not running yet, but I think I'm making some progress. Thanks a lot, protosd.

[Edit] Great, just find there's another "transmission" under "service" and need to start it from there. Thanks, everybody!

Noodle

Status
Not open for further replies.