FreeNAS 8.04 Lockup

Status
Not open for further replies.

breadoflife

Cadet
Hello all I currently have a freenas setup running 8.04 Release. I started with the release version of 8 and continued upgrading. On occasion, my FreeNAS locks up totally, sometimes a few weeks before it happens. The web interface doesn't work, ssh stops, unable to ping any IP addresses, everything stops dead in its tracks. Going to the physical machine to investigate, reveals that the console menu has locked up as well. I can still type on the console, but it doesn't respond to commands. CTRL-ALT-Delete is also unresponsive. Doing a hard reset fixes the issue temporarily. I goto the various sys logs afterwards, but nothing is value shows up, even the logging facilities seems to of stopped. The last message on the console is UPS data stale message and UPS server disconnected message, from the UPS 2 days prior. I had just logged into the web interface about 10 minutes before it locked up today. And unplugging the USB cable to the UPS results in console message, but no other USB devices generate a message. Help Pls!

Sys specs.

AMD ASUS E-350, 4gig of ram, 4xhitatchi 7200 drives. I have a 160GB Seagate as the boot drive, and a APC 550VA UPS connected via USB. 550W PS

tingo

Contributor
What services do you use on this FreeNAS box? Do you use sshfs from other machines to it?

breadoflife

Cadet
Services

What services do you use on this FreeNAS box? Do you use sshfs from other machines to it?

Currently CIFS, Smart, SSH are turned on and using ZFS with Raidz2. I recently turned off UPS and for some reason it is still complaining about UPS stuff on the console.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
There really isn't much to go on in terms of information. Since you are the only one with this particular issue I'd say it's most likely a hardware failure. Regardless, unless you start troubleshooting and providing more information than "it locks up" it's really difficult to narrow down your problem.

Not to sound like a jack*** but with the only information being "it locks up" the only answer someone can give with any certainty is "it's broken". You should try running diagnostics on RAM, try replacing the USB key, etc. There are some things that just can't be troubleshot over a forum.

I'm sorry I can't provide more help. Troubleshooting your issue will require more information than you have :(.

breadoflife

Cadet
I think so

Since the lockup's are few and far between I have managed to figure how to get use smartmontools to test the primary boot drive, and it seems to be in prefailure, at least according to the results. Thanks

cyberjock

Inactive Account
That's good. At least it wasn't something expensive.

USB key really is the best way to go for a boot device. I realized after I posted that your boot drive is a hard drive.

Stephens

Patron
It could be a hardware or software problem, and it'd be difficult for anyone to do anything other than give you some suggestions about how to diagnose it yourself.

Your power supply could be flaky. This is the #1 reason for "intermittent" problems with computers. If you have a spare, swap it. If your UPS had a LCD display, I'd tell you to turn it on so you can see exactly what power it is requesting under multiple scenarios. But your UPS doesn't have a LCD readout so I don't really know how you can get that information (perhaps a Kill-O-Watt). Also, what kind of Power Supply do you have? If you have an "Active PFC" power supply, you need a PFC-compatible UPS. The industry is not doing enough to communicate this.

Your installation could be faulty on your boot drive.

Your RAM could be bad (Ram test would test that).

Your motherboard coule be bad.

EDIT: Whoops. Typed this up earlier today and forgot to save it. Looks like you already figured it out. Good going. I'll leave this here for others who may have the same problem.

breadoflife

Cadet
Still on Occassion

Well, I replaced the boot drive with the USB stick. And the up-time is much better, but on occasion it still crashes with the same issues where only pulling the plug basically works, even though the system still recognizes usb events. It has been 2 months since the last time this happened though.

\
It could be a hardware or software problem, and it'd be difficult for anyone to do anything other than give you some suggestions about how to diagnose it yourself.

Your power supply could be flaky. This is the #1 reason for "intermittent" problems with computers. If you have a spare, swap it. If your UPS had a LCD display, I'd tell you to turn it on so you can see exactly what power it is requesting under multiple scenarios. But your UPS doesn't have a LCD readout so I don't really know how you can get that information (perhaps a Kill-O-Watt). Also, what kind of Power Supply do you have? If you have an "Active PFC" power supply, you need a PFC-compatible UPS. The industry is not doing enough to communicate this.

Your installation could be faulty on your boot drive.

Your RAM could be bad (Ram test would test that).

Your motherboard coule be bad.

EDIT: Whoops. Typed this up earlier today and forgot to save it. Looks like you already figured it out. Good going. I'll leave this here for others who may have the same problem.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
If you aren't already on FreeNAS 8.3 you could install it to a spare USB and import your config file and see how the system runs. If it doesn't work then you simply go back to the old thumbdrive. Just don't upgrade the ZFS version(you have to do it from the command line) or you won't be able to go back to any prior versions to FreeNAS 8.3.

breadoflife

Cadet
just upgraded

Actually I just upgraded to 8.3 about 10 minutes ago from 8.2. And no problems to report right now. will see how it goes over the next few weeks.

If you aren't already on FreeNAS 8.3 you could install it to a spare USB and import your config file and see how the system runs. If it doesn't work then you simply go back to the old thumbdrive. Just don't upgrade the ZFS version(you have to do it from the command line) or you won't be able to go back to any prior versions to FreeNAS 8.3.

Status
Not open for further replies.