FreeNAS 11, Windows 10 VM CPU Performance issues?

shamo316

Dabbler
My FreeNAS setup is Dual Xeon 2640v4 10c w 128g ram
The VMs zvol are on 4x 3tb we reds Raidz2

I've noticed if I make a windows 10 vm with 2-4 cores it seems to run ok. When I start adding more cpus, windows takes a long time to boot and sluggish performance inside windows vm.. Anyone having this issue?
im using these tunables
hw.vmm.topology.cores_per_package: 10
hw.vmm.topology.threads_per_core: 2

Last edited by a moderator:
D

dlavigne

Were you able to figure out the reason (or a solution) for this?

chris crude

Patron
I used this as a guide https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/bhyve-sockets-cores-and-thread-counts.55269/
set mine as "hw.vmm.topology.cores_per_package=4" as the only tunable. I set up my VM with 4 CPU cores and before i set the tunable, win10 task manager showed 2 sockets and 2 processors, after the tunable, it showed 1 socket and 4 processors.
Also, you should look into setting your NIC to the VirtIO setting for better stability.

shamo316

Dabbler
Were you able to figure out the reason (or a solution) for this?
I used this as a guide https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/bhyve-sockets-cores-and-thread-counts.55269/
set mine as "hw.vmm.topology.cores_per_package=4" as the only tunable. I set up my VM with 4 CPU cores and before i set the tunable, win10 task manager showed 2 sockets and 2 processors, after the tunable, it showed 1 socket and 4 processors.
Also, you should look into setting your NIC to the VirtIO setting for better stability.

No still not working right. I've been using virtio for nic also updated to latest drivers. Still lagging and slow when using more then 4 vcpus.

Not sure if anyone is having issues like mine that has dual socket cpus...

jakesnow

Cadet
Sorry to resurrect, just curious if you ever did figure out an answer to this. I'm currently dealing with something similar on 2 E5-2690s.