FreeNAS 11.3-U4.1 to TrueNAS Core 12.0 iSCSI problem (with solution)

stesmi

Cadet
I today upgraded one of my test setups from FreeNAS 11.3-U4.1 to TrueNAS Core 12.0 and everything works except iSCSI.

Setup:

iSCSI over 10GbE (Mellanox ConnectX-3 dual-port card)
2x Windows Server 2019 machines with Mellanox ConnectX-2 single-port cards.
Ubiquity EdgeSwitch 16XG (10GbE).

iSCSI with CHAP, unique per host.

Note: This worked in 11.3-U4.1.

Looking at the logs it contains a notice that the maximum password length is 16 characters, and verifying the passwords on the hosts shows they are 16 characters, so it's not the length.

However on the TrueNAS-box the User and Peer User password fields contain a 54 character Base64 string, which decodes into 40 bytes that I have no idea what it is. It's raw hex codes.

Inserting the real passwords into the correct fields made everything work.

I haven't looked into the settings backup file yet to find out what's in there, but I will in a bit.

// Stefan

NobleKangaroo

Dabbler
I personally noticed that despite my passwords meeting the previous requirement of "12 to 16 characters", the configured passwords got corrupted upon upgrade. What used to be a simple human-readable string for a password became a very long (something like 30 or 40 characters, possibly the 56 you mentioned - I didn't take note of it) what looked like base64 string. I tried doing `printf "mypasswordhere" | base64 -d` to see if it resulted in anything meaningful, but it was just binary data. I'm not sure what step in the upgrade process did this, but I was thankfully able to resolve it by just resetting the iSCSI password in TrueNAS UI.