Freenas 11.3 not replicating all snapshots (auto, manual, iocage upgrate and etc)

Hello,

Recently I noticed some improvements in replication and snapshot workflow in FreeNAS 11.3 and with this improvements I also see some constrains enforced compare to old workflow. For example, before 11.3, If I create a snapshot using "Periodic snapshot" or "manually" or "while updating/Upgrading iocage jails/plugins", the replication was able to replicate all snapshots to destination system without any issue regardless of how they created. But with the recent changes in FreeNAS 11.3, we need to explicitly either select Periodic snapshots or enter Naming Scheme to replication task to explicitly instruct and filter snapshots through naming scheme.

So I am wondering as home user, I would like to replicate all snapshots from source dataset to destination without any naming scheme involved and I would like to replicate all snapshots from source dataset to destination similar to 11.2 workflow. I believe, the old version was doing this and user don't have to constrains them self with naming scheme for auto, manual or iocage upgrading snapshots.

Also please note that this is a big deal if you want to enable pull approach. Which is my next step to make my remote machine to pull at specific time rather than push from source. But regardless of replication push/pull, the naming scheme make it bit completed to cover all snapshots to be replicated.

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Last edited:
Anyone ???

I will try to ping one last time ...

I am really struck on this and any help would appreciated. I will try to simplify the issue here one more time with some sample snapshots naming conventions to elaborate my issue

Let's say I have snapshots created by manual and auto tasks. The snapshot naming scheme verifies wildly and before FreeNAS 11.3, we don't have to worry about naming scheme for replicating snapshots for a given data set. The recent change specifically starting from FreeNAS 11.3, the replication task requires to specify naming schemes in order to replicate snapshots to destination. And the worst part is, I don't see any options to replicate all snapshots regardless of naming scheme to destination. This is causing really discomfort to have generic replication task for me.

For example, I have the following snapshots created by manual, auto and iocage plugin update tasks for a given data set.

auto-20180616.0515-2y
auto-20200615.0405-5w
manual-2020-05-31_23-00
manual-20180219
manual-20160512
manual-2020-05-31_23-00
manual-2020-05-04_21-25-centos8
ioc_plugin_upgrade_2020-03-31
ioc_update_11.2-RELEASE-p12_2020-02-16_21-08-58
ioc_update_11.2-RELEASE-p15_2020-03-27_21-34-55
ioc_update_11.3-RELEASE-p7_2020-03-30_22-47-35

So I would like to know how to make a replication task to work for a given data set to replicate all snapshots regardless naming conventions similar to FreeNAS 11.2 and earlier versions. So the question is that why remove replicate all snapshot regardless of naming conventions and force to have naming scheme. Ideally, it should have both options so that user can decided whether to replicate snapshots based on naming scheme or just replicate all snapshots from source to destination for a given data set.

Disclaimer : I am not an expert here and I don't have in-depth knowledge of how ZFS snapshot and replication works under the hood. If I miss some basics here please feel free to enlighten me.