FreeNAS-11.3-U2.1 snapshots and replication

stajo

Explorer
I came to think about the timing of snapshots and replications. As for now I have snapshots set up for Daily (0 0 * * *) ie. at midnight. The today I set up a replication from this FreeNAS to another and choosed the same schedule. Then I came to wonder if it then takes the last snapshot if it runs on the same schedule? In the documentation it says "When the replication configuration includes a source dataset on the local system and has a schedule, a periodic snapshot task of that dataset is also created." So, do I even have to configure snapshots and if, do I set them on the same schedule or do it have to be time inbetween?

stajo

Explorer
Now I checked after it were supposed to have started and got this error message. Why do I get it?

[2020/05/18 00:00:00] INFO [Thread-6] [zettarepl.paramiko.replication_task__task_1] Connected (version 2.0, client OpenSSH_8.0-hpn14v15)
[2020/05/18 00:00:00] INFO [Thread-6] [zettarepl.paramiko.replication_task__task_1] Authentication (publickey) successful!
[2020/05/18 00:00:02] ERROR [replication_task__task_1] [zettarepl.replication.run] For task 'task_1' non-recoverable replication error ReplicationError("Target dataset 'Film/FromMusic1' does not have snapshots but has data (205920 bytes used) and replication from scratch is not allowed. Refusing to overwrite existing data.")

I have never putted any data there, I created it as a target dataset.

Last edited:

stajo

Explorer
Well, seems like I have to answer myself. It refused to run to a pre created dataset on the destination system but I found this text under 8.6.2. Advanced Replication Creation:

Define the path to a system location that will store replicated snapshots. Click the  (Browse) to see all locations on the destination system or click in the field to manually type a location path (Example: pool1/dataset1). Selecting a location defines the full path to that location as the destination. Appending a name to the path will create new zvol at that location.

For example, selecting pool1/dataset1 will store snapshots in dataset1, but clicking the path and typing /zvol1 after dataset1 will create zvol1 for snapshot storage.

So what I did was to just remove it and hit Run on the active side and then it created itself on the destination side. Its running now.

My original question remains though. Should I keep the snapshot schedule and the replication schedule on the same time? Do I even need a snapshot schedule if I only want a snapshot for the replication?

Last edited:

stajo

Explorer
Well, after running for some 14 hrs and when just finishing I got an error again. Attaching the errorlog id anyone might have an idea whats happening.

Edit. Did a run again and since its incremental it went on notime. This time it said FINISHED. Hope thats correct.

Attachments

• 25494.rar
    1.3 KB · Views: 169
Last edited: