Freenas 11.2-RC1 and file copying from Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

rufus-hound

Cadet
Hello all.
I'm new to Freenas, and have built 2 systems (one as a network file system and the other to help debug problems such as the one I'm reporting today). Both machines and my mac mini are connected over ethernet.

I have successfully backed up my Mac using Timemachine with Freenas configured with an AFP share.

I am now trying to copy around 2TB (200,000 files) from a USB disk connected to my Mac, to the freeNAS machines. On both machines (tested at different times), I get the same issue. I created an SMB share, and created a user will full disk read/write access to the share folder. At first I used finder to copy the files, and found that it would fail mid-copy - not having managed to copy more that a few hundred files.

I changed to FreeFileSync so that I could re-start a copy if it failed. The copy still fails, with the following error:

Code:
Cannot write file "/Volumes/RaidPool/backup/1. allPictures/2010.8.6 - SANY0016.b0ad.ffs_tmp".

Error Code 5: Input/output error [write]

What I have found is that if I navigate to the share folder and view the contents of the folder, I can then click retry on the file copy and the copy resumes. It's as if the connection to the network share is timing out, although it's in constant use by FreeFileSync.

Can anyone advise what might be wrong?

Thanks

rufus-hound

Cadet
Hi @garm. I'd like to be able to copy the 2TB of data to my server without constantly having to press retry. I am assuming there's something wrong with my setup/configuration, so would like to get this fixed.

garm

Wizard
okey, I feel like being vicious but I don’t have the energy..

When you are new to a system it might be hard to know what information someone might need to help you troubleshoot an issue. This is a common problem in all support scenarios. It’s even got a Wikipedia page.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XY_problem

The people lending you help on the forum is mostly experienced users, developers tend to stay focused of the bug tracker. We don’t have unlimited time (we do this on our own time) and we don’t have a support manual.

Therefor there is a handy and easy to digest guide to users asking for help in the form of Forum Rules. You claimed you had read and agreed with them when you created your account. The forum rules contain, among other things, what to include in a question..

The reason for this is that unless it’s stated somewhere for new users to read before they post a question they will post threads with unrelated or missing information. This then forces to the person who would like to help out to play 20 questions and drag the information out of the user with the problem. Expecting this is right out rude, as that is basically stating your time is more valuable then ours..

Alternatively it leads to unnecessarily harsh replies from experienced users who decide to speak out instead of just ignoring you. In any case you will find yourself without the free support you expected when you signed up for an account.

Now, the common response form the user asking the impossible to answer question is usually hostile and incoherent. This leads to a bad rep for the forum and the alienation of novice users who would have benefited from the support the forum is able to provide and instead they lost their data.

When inexperienced users loose their data due to any number of novice or otherwise uninformed decisions they tend to blame the product or the tech.

I would not like to contribute to that and I will therefor not help you, or write a vicious reply.

O and by the way, https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/updated-forum-rules-8-3-16.45124/

rufus-hound

Cadet
Sorry, I'll try and clarify. I truly thought I had supplied enough relevant information. Please allow some slack to new posters as it's often difficult to know what is and isn't relevant.

Apologies for not specifying my machine details. As I have the same problem on both systems, let's just focus on the details of one:

HP Proliant ML110 G7
Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G840 @ 2.80GHz (dual core)
8GB ram
2 Intel 82574 Gigabit NIC
4xSamsung 2TB HHD (HD204UI), raidZ1,
FreeNAS-11.2-RC1

The mac mini that has the USB disk connected is this:
Late 2014
2.6GHz Intel Core i5
8GB 1600 MHz DDR3

The USB disk is this:
USB HHD
8TB Seagate Backup Plus Hub
USB3

I should have also stated that I have searched the forum, and Googled the error code output by FreeFileSync, but couldn't find anything with a similar symptom. Apologies if the information is already in the forum and i've failed to find it. I also looked at the messages in /var/log and couldn't see any messages that were posted at the point the copy failed. I had hoped that explaining that a time-machine backup worked (1TB data copy) would be helpful as, to me, it suggested my problem was related to SMB (as I believe time-machine uses AFP).

Any guidance would be appreciated.

rufus-hound

Cadet
No, it's not the same file each time.

What I have noticed is that when it fails (in FreeFileSync), if I also have a Mac finder window open viewing the network share, that finder window is reset back to a "network" view - almost like the connection has crashed or been reset. If I select retry on FreeFileSync, it fails to copy. However, if I first navigate back to the share in finder and then click retry, the copy copies the file correctly, and continues.

I did a test this morning where i noted each failure and then continued the copy in the way I described. There doesn't seem to be a pattern but in most cases the copy seems to fail during the copy of a large file but not always.

Files to copy - 1.82TB. 241495 files

Code:
Start @9.51am

Fail 10.10am - 234,145 files left, 1.80TB

Cannot move file
"/Volumes/RaidPool/rufus/1. allPictures/2008.5.31/IMG_0248.3334.ffs_tmp" to
"/Volumes/RaidPool/rufus/1. allPictures/2008.5.31/IMG_0248.JPG".
Error Code 2: No such file or directory [rename]

Fail 10.44am - 228,040 files left - 1.76TB

Cannot move file
"/Volumes/RaidPool/rufus/1. allPictures/2010.8.27/SANY0157.b52e.ffs_tmp" to
"/Volumes/RaidPool/rufus/1. allPictures/2010.8.27/SANY0157.MP4".

Fail 10:49am - 227,995 files left - 1.75TB

Cannot move file
"/Volumes/RaidPool/rufus/1. allPictures/2010.8.6/SANY0058.afcd.ffs_tmp" to
"/Volumes/RaidPool/rufus/1. allPictures/2010.8.6/SANY0058.MP4".

Fail 11:22am - 222,117 files left - 1.71TB
Cannot move file
"/Volumes/RaidPool/rufus/1. allPictures/2015.10.10/IMG_7084.2c38.ffs_tmp" to
"/Volumes/RaidPool/rufus/1. allPictures/2015.10.10/IMG_7084.MOV".

I don't know if it's related but, when I try to delete the contents of the share (when a copy fails), using finder I get "the operation can't be completed because the item "<a file>" is in use" . I know the file isn't in use. I can delete from the freenas shell.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.