FreeNAS 11.1-U7 to TrueNAS Scale in new chassis & boot medium

Pyrroc

Cadet
Long time FreeNAS user here. I'm still on FreeNAS 11.1-U7, at first because of jails, and after eliminating my jails, due to sheer laziness because it just worked. I have no jails, plugins, encryption, etc. Pretty much plain Jane SMB and NFS.

I'm looking to move to TrueNAS Scale from my 11.1-U7 installation. My current setup is 16GB RAM, 6 x 8TB HDD, booting off of mirrored USB flash drives. My new setup will be in a new chassis, 32GB RAM, booting off of an NVMe drive. I want to move the 6 x 8TB drives from the old chassis to the new chassis.

All of the guides/posts/tutorials I've seen generally reuse the current chassis, don't change the boot medium, etc.

What I'm hoping is that I can back up the current configuration, shut down the old chassis, install the drives in the new chassis, install TN Scale, and upload the backed up configuration file.

Is this feasible, or will this get a lot more complicated?

Pyrroc

Cadet
So I've also posted this to Reddit. The advice I've gotten back so far would be to upgrade to:
  1. Old System: Upgrade from 11.1 -> 13.0 Core
  2. Old System: Migrate from Core to Scale
  3. Old System: Backup Scale Config, remove drives
  4. New System: Install drives, Install Scale, restore Config
In the GUI I am only allowed to upgrade to 12.0, and the 12.0 release notes recommend going to 11.3-U5 first before upgrading to 12.0, then I assume I can go to 13.0 CORE in the 12.0 GUI.

Alternatively, I could try doing a manual or offline upgrade to 13.0 CORE directly from 11.1-U7.

Hoping for more input. Thanks in advance.