Folders randomly rename

I need some help with a strange occurrence of folders randomly renaming their self.

I have a dataset called "Audio" and in this i have a bunch of folders like this.

Artists
Compilations
Soundtracks
Other

and in the Artists folder we have a folder for each artist sorted by A to Z and in each artists folder we have the following folders

Bootleg
Compilations
Live
Studio
Single, EP
Other

As an example Audio/Artists/Adam & The Ants/Studio/Kings of the wild Frontier/Ant Music.ogg

Now the problem is folders keep randomly renaming there self to something such as today i went to copy a CD rip to Dr Feelgood/Studio/ and found one of the album folders renamed itself to ST1RFJ-H. This only happens to folders that sit under

Bootleg
Compilations
Live
Studio
Single, EP
Other

No other folders do it, when ever i go to copy any CD rips to their desired designation i will randomly come across an album has randomly renamed it's self to something like the example above. I'm not sure what is causing it to randomly select an album folder and rename but it's frustrating and i dread to navigate to my server because i might find a lot more has renamed it'self.

My specs are as followed.

OS Version:
FreeNAS-11.2-RELEASE-U1
(Build Date: Dec 20, 2018 22:41)
Processor:
AMD Phenom(tm) 8550 Triple-Core Processor (3 cores)
Memory:
5 GiB

I connect to my server via SMB shares using a Linux Mint OS, so open network in Linux, click on the folder freenas then open what ever dataset i want to get into Ie Audio and transfer/delete/edit stuff via that.

All your help will be great and thanks in advance

l@e

Contributor
Should not be related to FN. check your ripping software, maybe is set to create folder names based on metadata of the source device. If all are 8 characters renames probably it is geting the cd name.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
All your help will be great and thanks in advance
This is not something that FreeNAS is doing. You must have some software that is managing your media library that is making these changes for you, even if you don't realize it.

Thanks for the reply everyone

So it's not Freenas but something else??

I use a mix of Rhythmbox, banshee media player, asunder CD ripper for ripping the cd's depending which one finds the correct info and they all come out as Artist folder/album name/tracks and then i run them through musicbrainz picard to clean up and make sure it's all name correctly with correct info, album cover etc. So the first place to start will be Kodi which is what i stream everything to the it seems the problem only started when i set up Kodi.

Thank you again for the help :)

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Yeah it's not freenas changing name. Your storage server does not just charge things. That said sometimes you can get incomparable filename characters that could look correct on your smb share but be completely wrong on freenas. Just another idea if you don't find the program doing crazy things.

So i popped onto the Kodi forums and they say it's not that so then i popped onto the Linux Mint forums and was told this

it looks a lot like name mangling. That happens when the certain characters are used in certain places like colons : , ending the name in a period . , and who knows what else.

On a samba server you can turn that off by adding a line to the [global] section of smb.conf:

Code:
mangled names = no

So my question is can i edit the smb.conf and add the code and will it solve my problem?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Why do you have such obscure filenames? Yes you can try adding it. You set that value under the smb setting in the GUI, there is a field for auxiliary parameters.

Last edited:
How do you mean obscure filenames??

I have added the code to the auxiliary parameters lets hope this solves it.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
How do you mean obscure filenames??

I have added the code to the auxiliary parameters lets hope this solves it.

What is creating these file names that get mangled? Something in your pipeline is causing this problem. Editing the smb config is just masking the problem. The real solution is it not use invalid characters on your filenames

All of the file names are just standard A to z characters when it comes to the folders, anything such as :?,!"$ etc fail when i try to copy to the server via smb such as if i have a song called who are you? it will fail to copy unless i remove ?

An hour back i added the code to auxiliary parameters saved then navigated to the Freenas server via networking in Linux Mint and entered my SMB Audio share, i created a folder called Kodi which is where i am going to share playlists with different devices. Anyway about 20 seconds after i had created the folder it renamed it's self to AJEUIO~H. It just switched names in front of me.

I have taken the code out of auxiliary parameters because that hasn't done anything, i'm just really confused and can't for life of me work out why it does it. It's certainly not Kodi or any of my ripping programs because of the Kodi folder just auto renaming it's self in front of me which clearly shows it's another fault.

Is this a Mint fault or something between Mint & Freenas??

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty