New folders created by users are not editable by the same users on Macs via SMB

xpace

Cadet
Hi all,

I'm new to TrueNAS but not new to Linux/UNIX.
My TrueNAS-SCALE-22.12.0 server in office environment for graphic design studio is working as it should except one strange thing.

10 people connected via SMB from Apple iMacs sharing all same folders with their work is working flawlessly except when someone creates a new folder/subfolder.

Example 1:
User creates a folder and wants to upload a file. Folder created, but uploading a file asking for username and password which is never approved (message wrong user/pass). Creating another folder works just as it should with uploading a file no problem.

Example 2:
User creates a folder but realizes he/she made a mistake in the name so is trying to rename it but right click menu is NOT showing Rename. So he/she can't rename it or even upload any files to it.
Again, creating another folder works just fine exactly as it should.

This happens on daily basis randomly with number of users which leaves empty folders on the server.
All these users are in the same group.
At the moment is not a big issue as there is a workaround but in a years time it will leave too many empty folders on the drive and it can become messy as they already have hundreds of subfolders for each of their clients.

If you have any idea what could be wrong please let me know.
Thank you very much in advance

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

Davvo

MVP
I am genuinely interested in the thought process that made you decide to post a SCALE-related question into the FreeNAS (Legacy Software Releases) section instead of the TrueNAS SCALE section. Please don't take it as me trying to devaluate you or similar, I am just a little baffled.

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality

xpace

Cadet
Thanks for the link. I have checked, it seems very similar but I don't think it is same.
First my issue is very random and it only happens in subfolders no matter how deep they go and none of the Macs have OS Ventura.
Not sure if that makes any difference or not.
New folder is "dodgy" when created but any other after that is ok in the same path.
I don't know how different or similar are Ventura and Monterey OS but that's out of the question in this forum.

This might be some kind of answer from that thread you suggested but again I don't have Ventura OS: https://www.truenas.com/community/t...tura-it-works-from-windows.108884/post-752252
I'd have to look at it. There have been cases in past where MacOS clients / applications have left dangling opens of files on the SMB shares, which would cause renames to fail with STATUS_SHARING_VIOLATION. In general I use MacOS Ventura at home and don't have problems with renames on SCALE or Core.

the_prodigal

Cadet
So I had the same issue. I'd create a dataset, give it proper ACLs and ownersehip, share it over the network via SMB to be browsed via my Macbook Pro (Intel, Ventura). While I could create a new folder, it'd default to the "untitled folder" then I'd be unable to change the name. I could, however, create new files and change their names. As some have alluded to in this post and others linked, an obvious permissions issue.

I wanted to limited an example SMB share ("family", as you can see in the screenshot), to a specific group (again, "family").

This is what I did to resolve it. When you edit the file system ACL, the ACL options will default to "Permissions Type: Advanced" with all "Permissions" options except delete-related checked. I changed those to "Permissions Type: Basic" and "Permissions: Full Control". Voila

xpace

Cadet
So I had the same issue. I'd create a dataset, give it proper ACLs and ownersehip, share it over the network via SMB to be browsed via my Macbook Pro (Intel, Ventura). While I could create a new folder, it'd default to the "untitled folder" then I'd be unable to change the name. I could, however, create new files and change their names. As some have alluded to in this post and others linked, an obvious permissions issue.

I wanted to limited an example SMB share ("family", as you can see in the screenshot), to a specific group (again, "family").

This is what I did to resolve it. When you edit the file system ACL, the ACL options will default to "Permissions Type: Advanced" with all "Permissions" options except delete-related checked. I changed those to "Permissions Type: Basic" and "Permissions: Full Control". Voila

Hey, thank you for the tip.
the only issue I have is that my permissions are different yet the outcome should be the same.
Since some fiddling around I got to the state where 95% people at 95% of time are fine doing anything they need but occasionally some people at some point have troubles which will go away after short period of time. It's very mysterious and I believe it's something to do with Mac OS but really not sure.
See my permission screen below (they should have full access).
permissions.png