Flash Drive Died

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmach5

Cadet
My FreeNAS system was unresponsive so I did a restart but that did not help. It turned out to be my Flash Drive bit the dust. I did another reload of FreeNAS 9.3 Stable but could not figure out how to save my information that was already on the drives. There are 2 4TB hard drives striped...no redundancy for a total of 8TB. During the reinstall, it showed me the old volume that I created when I built the machine the first time but I could not find an option to "use this volume". Is there a way that you can use an existing volume just in case you have to do disaster recovery?

Thanks
Gmach5

gmach5

Cadet
OK. Sounds easy enough! What about shares? Can you recreate these? Can you do a backup of shares?

danb35

Hall of Famer
You should always have, a least one, backup of your config. There's a script(thanks to cyberjock) to do that for you or you can do it manually. If you don't have one, data is still there. Everything else has to be recreated by hand.
In 9.3, you always have a backup of your config wherever your .system dataset is. If you've set it to be on your data pool rather than your boot pool, it's still there. You can find it in /var/db/system.

Status
Not open for further replies.