First time trying 11.2 new UI and ...

Hi All,

I just thought I'd share my experience for what its worth. I've been using FreeNAS now for at least 6 years and I'm a massive fan. I started like most of you running a play system based on old hardware I had laying around and now I run it on many servers in production. Having become familiar with the old UI over the years I was naturally skeptical about the move to the new UI as I had seen other ZFS storage vendors go down the 'simplify' route and I didn't like it. All my production kit runs 11.1-U7 however with that coming end-of-life soon I thought now was the time to move one of my new systems that haven't gone into production yet over to 11.2-U6. To begin with I thought I'd just carry-out a simple test of copying some data over to the server from a couple of Windows Servers. The storage server I have is connected to the network via two 10Gb links and the Windows Servers much the same. Each Windows server when transferring data (depending on the type of data) can achieve approx 5Gbps. I started off the transfer and within seconds the new UI locked up and became unusable. I couldn't click on any of the tabs and the only way I could get it to respond was to close the browser tab and relaunch only for it to do exactly the same thing again time after time. I'm on a Mac so I tried Safari, Chrome and Firefox and they were all the same. I then jumped into the legacy UI and all was fine just like normal.:confused::confused:

So I don't want this to be one of those threads where we all bash the new UI but I have to say in its current state 11.2-U6 for me is unusable under the new UI and clearly based on my tests it's only under the new UI where this issue is.

I'd be really interested to hear from people who are using 11.2-U6 and can push 5/10Gb plus to their server and the new UI stay stable as I'm willing to accept there is an issue somewhere my end.

D

dlavigne

Notes that it probably has little to do with the new UI and much more to do with the Samba version bumps, OS changes, etc. To figure out the actual cause of the freeze, it would be useful to see what the logs looked like during that period of time.

But if it was Samba then why would it run fine when I switch to the old UI?

Don't get me wrong the file transfers themselves work great but when in the new UI the whole page is unusable and I can't click anywhere however when I switch to the old UI everything is fine.

D

dlavigne

Which browser? Any security extensions? Anything in the logs around the time of freezing? Those types of details help to pin down the cause so it can be fixed.

I'm on a Mac so have tried Safari, Chrome and Firefox and all the same. All vanilla installs. Which logs should I be looking in?