First time FreeNAS build - newbie questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

haris013

Cadet
Hello everyone!

This is my first attempt to a home project, build up a home NAS storage in order to serve my needs. I have no experience before with storages so forgive me if i ask too obvious things.

I need a storage in order to store my backups from PC (veeam backups), store my personal data(also owncloud) and store media files (plex etc).

I bought a Lenovo thinkserver ts150 intel g4400 / 8gb ecc ram (more specs https://lenovopress.com/lp0071-ts150-intel-xeon-e3-1200-v5-core-i3-pentium-celeron-g-series )

I would like to ask what kind of hard disks to buy and how many? For now I will need 4TB of total space with the ability to grow this spaces after some year(s). What kind of zfs pool/raid should i use?

• 2x 4TB wd reds with mirror setup will be fine? Can i grow the space later without data loss? Whats the procedure to do that?
  • If i have a failed disk with mirror mode, do i lost access to my data until i replace the fault disk? Whats the procedure of a failed disk replacement?
  • I heard that freenas can boot up from a usb stick. If the stick fails, i suppose that i will lose control of my server/files, this also includes damage to my files? What happens if a bootup usb stick fails? Do i buy a new one and plug it back to the server and after that everything works fine? Will the new usb with freenas recognize my disks/data setup?
  • At the case of sudden power loss, does that mean the possibility of data loss? Should i buy a UPS? Can an APC ups connect with the server and do a graceful shutdown to the system?

thanks in advance!

danb35

Hall of Famer
For now I will need 4TB of total space with the ability to grow this spaces after some year(s).
ZFS generally wants at least 20% of the pool free. So, if you're saying you need to store 4 TB on the pool, the pool size should be at least 5 TB. If you mean 4 TiB rather than 4 TB, then you'd need 5.5 TB. In short, a mirrored pair of disks is just fine (and yes, you can easily expand that over time), but I'd recommend a pair of 6 TB disks rather than 4 TB.
f i have a failed disk with mirror mode, do i lost access to my data until i replace the fault disk?
No.
Whats the procedure of a failed disk replacement?
http://doc.freenas.org/11/storage.html#replacing-a-failed-drive
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/replacing-a-failed-failing-disk.75/
heard that freenas can boot up from a usb stick.
FreeNAS was designed to boot from a small-ish flash device. Historically, that has generally been a USB stick; today we generally recommend an SSD. Doesn't need to be a big one, anywhere from 30 GB - 120 GB. The SSD will be much more reliable, and also considerably faster (which isn't a big issue, but it's nice when you're doing updates).
If the stick fails, i suppose that i will lose control of my server/files,
Yes, if the boot device dies, you won't be able to use your server until you replace it.
this also includes damage to my files?
No, the files are stored separately and would not ordinarily be harmed by a failed boot device.
What happens if a bootup usb stick fails? Do i buy a new one and plug it back to the server and after that everything works fine?
Do that, upload a saved configuration file, and you're back in business.
At the case of sudden power loss, does that mean the possibility of data loss?
Yes. It isn't likely; ZFS is pretty robust in that regard, but it's nonetheless possible.
Should i buy a UPS?
Yes.
Can an APC ups connect with the server and do a graceful shutdown to the system?
Depends on the model, but probably. Another brand that's fairly popular around here is CyberPower; they're also pretty well-supported.

haris013

Cadet
ZFS generally wants at least 20% of the pool free. So, if you're saying you need to store 4 TB on the pool, the pool size should be at least 5 TB. If you mean 4 TiB rather than 4 TB, then you'd need 5.5 TB. In short, a mirrored pair of disks is just fine (and yes, you can easily expand that over time), but I'd recommend a pair of 6 TB disks rather than 4 TB.

No.

http://doc.freenas.org/11/storage.html#replacing-a-failed-drive
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/replacing-a-failed-failing-disk.75/

FreeNAS was designed to boot from a small-ish flash device. Historically, that has generally been a USB stick; today we generally recommend an SSD. Doesn't need to be a big one, anywhere from 30 GB - 120 GB. The SSD will be much more reliable, and also considerably faster (which isn't a big issue, but it's nice when you're doing updates).

Yes, if the boot device dies, you won't be able to use your server until you replace it.

No, the files are stored separately and would not ordinarily be harmed by a failed boot device.

Do that, upload a saved configuration file, and you're back in business.

Yes. It isn't likely; ZFS is pretty robust in that regard, but it's nonetheless possible.

Yes.

Depends on the model, but probably. Another brand that's fairly popular around here is CyberPower; they're also pretty well-supported.

thank you very much for the info!

Is there any list with ups models that work with freenas? I don't need more than 500VA

danb35

Hall of Famer

danb35

Hall of Famer
I was thinking for 2 x HGST Deskstar NAS 6 TB will do the job right?
That should be fine.
Is the 8Gb ram enough for my setup?
It's the minimum for FreeNAS. For just storing and sharing files, it's probably OK, though even then 16 GB would be better. If you were wanting to run Plex on this box, I'd definitely upgrade to at least 16 GB. And use 8 GB DIMMs, so you can easily expand further if you need to.

haris013

Cadet
That should be fine.

It's the minimum for FreeNAS. For just storing and sharing files, it's probably OK, though even then 16 GB would be better. If you were wanting to run Plex on this box, I'd definitely upgrade to at least 16 GB. And use 8 GB DIMMs, so you can easily expand further if you need to.
I have another small server setup with proxmox hypervisor and was thinking to create a container/VM in order to run plex while my files will be stored to freeNAS pool.

haris013

Cadet
well i found an offer from a local store and i bought 3x 3tb wd reds. It was a very good price and cheaper than 2x 6tb drives. Was that a bad purchase? with raidz i will have total of ~6tb space with 1 disk failure?

If a drive fails, the access to my data is still available?

danb35

Hall of Famer
If a drive fails, the access to my data is still available?
I thought I'd already answered this--yes. We don't generally like RAIDZ1 for drives larger than 1 TB, but it should work as you expect.

haris013

Cadet
I thought I'd already answered this--yes. We don't generally like RAIDZ1 for drives larger than 1 TB, but it should work as you expect.
why is that?

maybe buying one more 3tb drive and create 2 mirrors?

Can I do that later or i have i have to lose my data?

If I use 2 of 3 drives as a mirror now and after some time i that i will need more space buy another drive and create new mirror is a better/safer option?

danb35

Hall of Famer
why is that?
In short, the risk of a data error on one of the remaining disks when rebuilding after a drive failure. With modern drive sizes, that risk reaches a level that many find unacceptable.
maybe buying one more 3tb drive and create 2 mirrors?
You could, and that would help--though in that case I'd probably configure them in RAIDZ2 instead.
Can I do that later or i have i have to lose my data?
You could easily go from one mirror to two mirrors. To go from a RAIDZ to two mirrors, you'd need to destroy and rebuild your pool.

haris013

Cadet
In short, the risk of a data error on one of the remaining disks when rebuilding after a drive failure. With modern drive sizes, that risk reaches a level that many find unacceptable.

You could, and that would help--though in that case I'd probably configure them in RAIDZ2 instead.

You could easily go from one mirror to two mirrors. To go from a RAIDZ to two mirrors, you'd need to destroy and rebuild your pool.
from raidz can i migrate to raidz2 without loss?

Status
Not open for further replies.