First NAS Build

mWags

Cadet
Hi all, just wanted to say hello & thank you. This forum is a great resource and helped me build my first freenas box. After looking at may options I decided to just DIY my own NAS. Specs of the build are in my signature. I had a couple of issues along the way. One hard drive was DOA & another was the wrong size. After that, I got the NAS up and running and the case fans were cycling from fast to slow. Evidently it's a common problem w/some supermicro board / fan combo's. I got it fixed using tips from the forums here & it's running quietly now.

My main purpose was to backup a lot of pictures my wife took of rescue dogs over the last few years. They've been stored on a local PC w/no other backup. I'm transferring them over now. Just a little bit at a time until I figure out a more efficient way. I've used rsync (IIRC) in the past between two boxes but I'm not sure that's the best way. I don't want to stress the hard drive too much where the pics are stored. It's old and been in a PC that's been running 24/7 for way longer than it probably should. Also, I've installed transmission plugin w/openvpn. Pretty cool stuff here on the forums & w/freenas.

Thanks again.

Matt