Status
Not open for further replies.

diedrichg

Wizard

DJCounter

Dabbler
Would this card:
LSI LSI00301 (9207-8i)
allow for connecting eight drives via a breakout cable? It looks as though it would be plug and play (in the appropriate PCIe slot).

Last edited:

diedrichg

Wizard

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Would this card: LSI LSI00301 (9207-8i) allow for connecting eight drives via a breakout cable? It looks as though it would be plug and play (in the appropriate PCIe slot).
If that was supposed to be a link, it didn't work. The system board we were talking about has SAS built-in. Why are you looking at a card?

This is the kind that I use in both of my servers except this one was made OEM for HP. Mine is just LSI and I had to flash the firmware myself where this one is all set and ready to use.

HP H220 6Gbps SAS PCI-E 3.0 HBA LSI 9207-8i P20 IT Mode for ZFS FreeNAS
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-H220-6G...0-IT-Mode-for-ZFS-FreeNAS-unRAID/162862201664

Yes. This card needs forward breakout cables instead of the reverse breakout cables we talked about for the system board. This is what I have used:

Lot of 2 Mini SAS to 4-SATA SFF-8087 Multi-Lane Forward Breakout Internal Cable
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-2-M...-Forward-Breakout-Internal-Cable/371681252206

Last edited:

DJCounter

Dabbler
If that was supposed to be a link, it didn't work. The system board we were talking about has SAS built-in. Why are you looking at a card?
It wasn't supposed to be a link. It was too early in the day for links - I just copied and pasted. The system board I mentioned was the X11SSM-F, not the X10SL7-F so an onboard controller wasn't included, and finally I ask because I 'inherited' two of those cards :)
If I went with the X11, and used two of the SATA ports up with mirrored boot drives, I just wanted to ensure that I would still be able to fully populate the ten drive spaces that exist in the case I am looking to get. Call it 'being proactive.' That would be a first for me...

DJCounter

Dabbler
Thanks for your help Chris, I think I'm decided now (with the help of various people in these forums) what will be in my final build. Now comes the 'justification' stage...

Inxsible

Guru

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Thanks for your input everyone - and as one last (and I promise, it IS last!) request, what are the implications of this mobo:

Supermicro X10SL7-F - what would the implications of having effectively an LSI2008 (I think) on the MOBO? would I just flash it into IT mode and connect SATA drives as usual?
Sorry, that question made me think that was the board of choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.