First Build TrueNAS Core Low Power&Noise

DevilNAS

Dabbler
Hello everyone!
I have been following this forum for a few months and want to make the jump into the home server.

I am trying to create my first build through what I read on the internet but the more I read the less I know.

I want to create a mini-ITX server with a maximum of 6 HDDs in the future. The purpose will be just for Plex 2 users to transcode at maximum, *Arr things, Nextcloud, Torrent, and Debian VM for Docker containers. As this was to be a lower noise and power consumption server, tried to create this build but I think that RAM will not handle efficiently TrueNAS.

Case: 1x Fractal Design Node 304
Motherboard: 1x ASRock J5040-ITX
RAM: 2x Crucial 4GB DDR4-2400 SODIMM - CT4G4SFS824A (No ECC because think it will not be useful for now)
PSU: 1x Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 350W
Storage: 1x 80GB Spare SSD (Sorry for not giving you info but I need to find it first) + 2x WD Red™ Plus 6TB NAS Hard Drive 3.5"

After reading some threads here I think the best is to add more RAM (maybe stick the maximum to 16GB) and replace the Motherboard because of Realtek RTL8111H. What CPU, motherboard, and RAM would replace on this build to maintain the power consumption low and noise? About the power consumption, I am more worried about the idle power because I cannot see anything on the datasheet regarding that.

Thank you so much for your time!
Have a nice weekend :smile:

Constantin

Vampire Pig
I'd think long and hard about what you intend your machine to do. Transcoding usually requires either specialized hardware (which may have some preliminary support in TrueNAS SCALE) or big CPUs. But you also want low power. AFAIK, that's mutually exclusive. The board you have specified seems way outside the usual universe of supported motherboards, so if all of its hardware features are fully supported, great! ... but I would not count on it.

If low power is more important than transcoding, then you have a lot of choices. If transcoding is more important but you want to keep power as low as possible, then I'd go after a reasonably recent board with a removable CPU, select a adequately-powerful CPU core as recommended by Plex for your use case, and hope that the CPU can idle down to reasonable levels when the device is not transcoding. That said, if you're doing massive transcoding, I'd be surprised if a small rig can stay quiet without frying the CPU/GPU.

What I'd consider in your use case is a less expensive, filing-only storage server that can be low power combined with end points that can do the transcoding for you as needed. Please also note that the 8GB of RAM is the absolute bare minimum and I wonder if running Plex on top of that won't starve the unit of RAM. I'd consider 16GB of ECC RAM the starting point.

DevilNAS

Dabbler
Thank you for your answer!

But you also want low power. AFAIK, that's mutually exclusive.
Yes, the most important here is the Nextcloud storage because Hardware Transconding will only be running by Plex Server when a client needs a stream with 1080p instead of 4k. I have been reading that Quick-Sync CPU is enough for this job so I have chosen that CPU.

If low power is more important than transcoding, then you have a lot of choices.
Low power here is more important because transcode will be done maybe a maximum of 10 times a month. The focus here and that I am struggling with is finding a CPU, and of course, a compatible motherboard, with low power for storage but when necessary be strong enough for transcode.
What I'd consider in your use case is a less expensive, filing-only storage server that can be low power combined with end points that can do the transcoding for you as needed. Please also note that the 8GB of RAM is the absolute bare minimum and I wonder if running Plex on top of that won't starve the unit of RAM. I'd consider 16GB of ECC RAM the starting point.
That would be the best for me. A system with low power at idle and capable of transcoding. With your experience do you recommend any CPU for this task? Also, ECC I think is not important for now because will need a compatible CPU and motherboard and it will surpass my budget limit.

Constantin

Vampire Pig
I have no experience with transcoding so I defer to experts re what versions of TrueNAS support quick sync decoding. This is a file storage optimized appliance that happens to play plex with the right plugins.

The issue with transcoding is that it either can keep up or it cannot. How often it has to transcode is not as material as how many parallel streams you’re trying to transcode and the computational complexity thereof.

I’m not trying to turn you off transcoding, I just don’t want you to end up with a unhappy purchase. So first look up what types of transcoding hardware which version of TrueNAS supports and then proceed. My guess is that scale will have fairly wide support, core might have quick sync.

I have zero experience with motherboards that allow a cpu to be removed. So I’m not the best person to ask re: which one works best for low power and to meet your needs. That said, I’d look into SuperMicro boards since you might be able to get one used inexpensively and retrofit it with a modern efficient CPU. the nice thing about boards with removable CPUs is that if your CPU choice turns out to be less than optimal, you can resell the old cpu and buy a more powerful one.

Etorix

Wizard
The (nice) case is mini-ITX only, so that rules out most Supermicro socketed offerings; mini-ITX X10SDV or A2SDi boards would need a GPU for transcoding, so are not attractive options here.
The J5040 only has 4 SATA, and not much computing power. I'd look for, ideally, a mini-ITX C23x or C24x board and ECC UDIMM, or else a consumer board and non-ECC UDIMM. Matching Core i3 and at least 6 SATA.
Based on guidance, a 450 W PSU would be safer for future extension.

EDIT 6 SATA actually appears to excludes consumer boards, even including AMD. A quick search with the filters at geizahls.de narrowed the possible list to Asus P11C-I, AsRockRack E246D2I or C246 WSI and Gigabyte C246N-WU2. All use regular DIMM; the first two are genuine server boards. No idea whether these are available in Portugal at acceptable prices.

Last edited:

DevilNAS

Dabbler
Thank you for your help. In Portugal, we do not have stores for these parts and eBay is very expensive. I am very tented to buy an Intel Core i3 9100 because this CPU support ECC and have Quick Sync for transcoding.

You help me a lot with that motherboard names. The perfect one would be Gigabyte C246N-WU2 but I cannot find any store that sells that.
The next best one would be Asus P11C-I but unfortanelly Intel Chipset C242 cannot use iGPU and Quick Sync for what I read online.

I am looking to buy AsRock C246 WSI from Equippr.de (https://www.equippr.de/asrock-rack-c246-wsi-intel-1151-v2-mini-itx-2079457.html) to Portugal because it seems the best for my case and can handle i3 9100.

Etorix

Wizard
You're welcome!
C246N-WU2 (which I know for having hacked one into running macOS) and C246 WSI are actually intended for desktops while E246D2I is a true server (BMC) and would be the best choice—but at a +50% premium with current German prices, it's not the most attractive.
Pay attention to accessories, tough. For instance, the C246N-WU2 has a miniSAS-HD which can serve either a U.2 drive or 4 SATA, but neither cable comes with the box.

And keep searching. There are servers in Portugal (or Spain), so there must be local resellers catering to this market, but it could be they are more focused on B2B and do not appear in consumer-focused price comparators; that doesn't mean they won't take orders from a private customer… if you do find them.

DevilNAS

Dabbler
I'm planning to buy several components from Jacob.de.
The perfect one would be C246N-WU2 but I cannot find any store that sells it. I am going forward with C246 WSI as this is my first server and I want to spare some money. :grin:

At this moment I am thinking to buy this build:
CPU: 1x Intel® Core™ i3-9100
Motherboard: 1x ASRock Rack C246 WSI
RAM: 2x Kingston KSM26ES8/8HD 8GB 1Rx8 1G x 72-Bit PC4-2666
PSU: 1x Be Quiet! System Power 9 CM 500W or 1x Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 500W (Still thinking what could be more for power saving)
Storage: 1x 80GB Spare SSD (Sorry for not giving you info but I need to find it first) + 2x WD Red™ Plus 6TB NAS Hard Drive 3.5"

Etorix

Wizard
At this moment I am thinking to buy this build:
CPU: 1x Intel® Core™ i3-9100
Motherboard: 1x ASRock Rack C246 WSI
RAM: 2x Kingston KSM26ES8/8HD 8GB 1Rx8 1G x 72-Bit PC4-2666
PSU: 1x Be Quiet! System Power 9 CM 500W or 1x Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 500W (Still thinking what could be more for power saving)
That should be a reasonably good starting point. For RAM speed, Core i3 is limited to 2400; 2666 will work, of course, but you have more chance to find second-hand or refurbished ECC UDIMM by looking for lower speeds—the more RAM the better, and with 2 slots, there's no room for later upgrade.
To save power, 500 W Gold should be better than 500 W Bronze, but at some point the law of diminishing returns kicks in.

dse93

Cadet
Hello all,

I am in France and i have the same need as DevilNas.
I am planning to plan the same build but i am trying to reduce the cost.

I can have the motherboard Asus WS C246M Pro for less comparing to asrock c246 wsi (78 euros difference).
Do you think that it's relevant for the build please?

Thanks in advance

Etorix

Wizard
I am planning to plan the same build but i am trying to reduce the cost.
I can have the motherboard Asus WS C246M Pro for less comparing to asrock c246 wsi (78 euros difference).
Do you think that it's relevant for the build please?
Bienvenue sur le forum.

WS C246M Pro and C246 WSI are workstation-style motherboards, with an audio codec, multiple USB ports but no BMC compared to the server-style boards (Asus P11C-I, AsRockRack E246D2I), which would be the first choices. So, you'd need a CPU with an iGPU to set it up. Other than that, these should be stable and capable boards (ECC with an i3 or Xeon) for NAS purposes, and solid second choices.

If "same build" includes the Node 304 case, the Asus WS C246M will NOT fit in: It's micro-ATX, not mini-ITX.
If the case takes micro-ATX boards, then there are many more server-grade options in the Supermicro X11SC_ range.

dse93

Cadet
Merci :)

Initally, i was looking for supermicro MB but it's very expensive in new and i am not able to fine one compatible with i3 generation 8th/9th in used market.
I found only the X11SSH-F for 200 euros but it's compatible with i3 generation 6th/7th : i don't know if it's a good option at this price.

For the case, i will go for node 804 for micro atx.
The only problem with asus board is the no bmc option because i am planning to install the nas in a small storage room without screen. After i don't know if i really need a bmc as it's my first nas :).

Your advice will help me :)

Etorix

Wizard
If the ability to check the console, force shutdown/restart, tweak BIOS settings or install a new OS without entering the server room appeals to you, a BMC may come handy.

These low-end server boards have a long life time. Second-hand X9 come cheap; good offers on X10 are harder to come by; the time for secon-hand X11 has not yet come (unless someone offloads his excess gear here or on servethehome.com… I actually have a X11SCH-F that's no longer in use).

dse93

Cadet
Thanks for your answer. I prefer to have bmc.
I can have the X11SSH-F (micro atx) for 200 euros (second hand but never used) or asrock c246 wsi for 250 euros (new).

What will be the good choice for the price point, please?

DevilNAS

Dabbler
Hi,

So, if you prefer to have BMC I would go to X11SSH-F and you can get more RAM and SATA ports onboard.

bitrot

Cadet
Thought I'd share this as it might change the possible hardware you could use; you no longer need a powerful CPU if all you need it for is the video transcoding - this can now be done with Intel's QuickSync hardware built into all modern (8th gen and newer) CPUs:

Heop this helps!