first boot fails with: Mounting from zfs:freenas-boot/ROOT/11.1-U7-1 failed with error

reptiles

Cadet
NOTE: what follows is what i did for an initial installation. do not attempt to use the ideas from this article to RECOVER an existing system. it will very likely result in losing existing data.

Recently, I was attempting to install TrueNAS Core on a Dell R620 with a IT mode flashed H310 mini, and two groups of disks, 4 SSD and 6 rust.

Sadly, the disk order changes from what is in the controller interface (slot0 -> slot9) to a seemingly random order.

After several attempts to get TrueNAS installed on the SSD in slot0, i started getting error like "Mounting from zfs:freenas-boot/ROOT/1x.1-Ux-1 failed with error 99"

It dawned on me, that perhaps the boot process was trying to import zfs volumes from all the disks, and those disks (after my various attempts to install) had become hopelessly corrupted.

I booted off the install media to a shell, and did some rudimentary attempts to clear the partition data using gpart/etc, so i could get a clean install.

But to no avail.

Eventually, I stumbled on this article: https://icesquare.com/wordpress/freebsdhow-to-remove-zfs-meta-data/
It shows how to use dd to wipe out the start, and end, of each disk, ensuring that zfs will see it as completely virgin.
start at: How To Remove ZFS Meta Data – FreeBSD

I used this process to zap all of the disks in the server, and I was able to clean fresh install, once I mapped out which drive was the actual disk in slot0 (turns out it was da4).

again: NOTE: this process will wipe out any existing data, do not do this on a system you are trying to recover