SOLVED Freenas-boot mounting error 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

jap1

Cadet
Hello guys,

About 6 months ago I put together a NAS (with ECC) after the recommendations in this board. Thanks for that, I got all the information I needed here. Now I'm having an issue, if you guys could tell me what's the problem or give me some hints how to solve it.

Three days ago, I got after the scrub, two error mails with:
Code:
The boot volume state is ONLINE: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data corruption. Applications may be affected.

and
Code:
The boot volume state is ONLINE: One or more devices are faulted in response to IO failures.

I didn’t change anything in the system.
Today I realised, that its not on the LAN at all. So I plugged in a screen and saw following error while booting.

Code:
Trying to mount root from zfs:freenas-boot/ROOT/FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201503270027[]...
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): WRITE(10). CDB: 2a 00 00 00 06 38 00 00 10 00
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): CAM status: SCSI Status Error
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): SCSI status: Check Condition
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): SCSI sense: DATA PROTECT asc:27,0 (Write protected)
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Error 13, Unretryable error
Mounting from zfs:freenas-boot/ROOT/FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201503270027 failed with error 6.

I tried to boot older versions of FreeNAS and got the same error. Verbose mode didn’t give me more information.
I googled it, but I just got a few results for this particular error 6, which didn't help me.

What's the problem? My wild guess would be, that the hardware of my booting USB Drive failed. It's a "Kingston DataTraveler SE9 8GB, USB 2.0"
Can it be fixed?

Thank you in advance!
greetings

D

dlavigne

My wild guess would be, that the hardware of my booting USB Drive failed. It's a "Kingston DataTraveler SE9 8GB, USB 2.0"

Yup, that's what it sounds like. Reinstall another stick and upload your saved config.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
What's the problem? My wild guess would be, that the hardware of my booting USB Drive failed. It's a "Kingston DataTraveler SE9 8GB, USB 2.0"
Can it be fixed?

It's not a wild guess, the warning e-mails specifically say so.

jap1

Cadet
I changed the USB and installed FreeNAS again. Restoring the settings worked fast and easy. :)
Thank you!

RonRN18

Dabbler
I changed the USB and installed FreeNAS again. Restoring the settings worked fast and easy. :)
Thank you!

I am now unfortunately in the same situation you were. I woke this morning with the email and having the exact same issue your presented. This, just a couple days after I had a hard drive in one of my ZFS arrays replaced. I also finally updated the firmware in my LSI controller for another ZFS array.... I have 4 drives on the motherboard's SATA connections and an LSI RAID controller card that has 4 additional drives attached to it, with the capability of 4 additional drives in the future. I don't know if there is any correlation between those items or not. I'm about to head out to buy a new USB flash drive. I'm hoping everything is obvious on how to recover, as I didn't see any steps to follow in this thread.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

viro101

Cadet
Is this how the error showed up for you?

Attachments

• Image uploaded .jpg
    Image uploaded .jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 2,334

pksbadmin

Cadet
Hello Sir, I had same issue.
My installation hardware USB was stopped working and giving me Error 13, Unretryable error, Please advise what should I do now. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.