Firmware version P21?

Status
Not open for further replies.

r.t.

Cadet
If it was reported through the FreeNAS web GUI (using the Support button), it could have a debug file attached. In that case, it would typically be marked private.
I see, that would make sense, although it's somewhat unfortunate that the entire bug would be inaccessible instead of the sensitive attachments. :shrug:

You should still load the latest firmware on the card, but because there is a versioning difference now, they stopped warning to the discrepancy several versions of FreeNAS ago. If I recall, it was around 9.10.1 but don't quote me on that. There was a thread on the forum about it at the time and I am sure you could find it with a little searching that I am not going to take the time to do.
The gist of it is the driver on the base OS (BSD) is at 21 while the firmware on the card is at 20 and it is not a problem. It might be a problem that FreeNAS is not checking for older firmware, and that will be up to the devs to decide. I imagine that they just turned the alert off entirely so it is not issuing any version mismatch warning.
I did find that thread, or another one like it, and the outcome was that for a while they were checking for that as a special case, you can see it in the deleted script I linked:
Code:
if ((int(firmware) != int(driver)) and not (int(firmware) == 20 and int(driver) == 21)):

However, much more recently (only a couple of months, you can see the date on the commit) they simply removed the check entirely, which is what my question was about. After all, it would have still warned me in my situation (v19 firmware/v21 driver), so it is still a useful way of notifying people that their configuration may not be ideal.

Anyway, I've decided to upgrade to the v20 firmware, as it seems unlikely that the removal of the check indicates a problem with upgrading to what was the recommended version.

Stux

MVP
Sounds like they should check < 20.0.0.7 or <=19.

Post a bug report ;)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I think they've given up on the firmware warning altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.