Finding location of bhyve VM to back it up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stranded Camel

Explorer
I've upgraded to FreeNAS-11.0-RC3 (1d8ee7925) and have successfully created a Linux VM using bhyve through the web interface. It's all running swimmingly, and I'd like to back it up to an external disk now, but I've got one small problem -- I can't find its location.

In the device manager I see the following:

NAME USED AVAILABLE
SSD_Volume 5.8 Gib (2%) 214.2 GiB
|
+---- SSD_Dataset 10.2 GiB (4%) 203.0 GiB
|
+---- Linux_VM_Zvol 10.2 GiB (4%) 207.4 GiB

I've confirmed that the zvol at the bottom is what's selected as the place to store the VM's disk, and clearly some amount of disk space is being used (though the dataset and zvol numbers make no sense to me, as the dataset contains nothing but the zvol, and while the dataset does have compresion turned on (by mistake, really), I'm under the impression that a VM isn't going to compress much -- certainly not ).

When I SSH in to the FreeNAS box, however, it turns out that /mnt/SSD_Volume is completely empty.

So my questions are: (1) where are bhyve virtual machines located, and (2) is there any way to recognize them (e.g. a specific file extension)?

Thanks in advance!

Stux

MVP
I suspect all the configuration information for the VM is stored in the FreeNAS config, and the Zvol is the datastore.

Status
Not open for further replies.