Finally ready to pull the trigger for my first FN setup

Dave Hob

Contributor
Hi guys, glad to see that community is growing on FREENAS and the system is in even higher demand looks like.

I've been on this forum ready on and off over the past 6+ years. in 2014 I ordered some components and was ready to build my system but did not have the chance to finalize it then.

My experience with FREENAS limited, but installed it and set it up a few times. I have general IT experience but not at a professional level by any means.

My must have goal:

General Home Setup
Home storage for lots of photography and video that my wife will need
Clients 2 - 3 devices
Storage for some movies
Lite torrenting
PlexMedia for 1 - 2 devices at a time
Must be relevant for 5+ years

Optional would love to goal:

Setting up FREENAS under ESXI to play with some other VM
* I understand that cautios is highly advisable. Not clear if this is discouradged overall, looking for some more advice. If we go in this direction than a system that is more ready for this out of the box (compatible)
Creat other VM for home lab to practice on
Maybe setup PfSense with ESXi on the same system

I own:

10 Drives - Western Digital Red NAS Hard Drive WD30EFRX 3TB
* do not plan on using them all, maybe keep some as potential replacements in the future
Fractal Design Define R4 with Window Black Pearl Silent ATX Mid Tower Case

also I bought today a used Dell PowderEdge T410 that I am inclined to return (30 day return policy), picked up from a PC Recycle store. Looking for reasons why I should return this unit :) so feel free to advice. If it's relevant, paid for the T410 about ~$200 and it comes with 32gb of RAM (will update on the RAM type soon) and missing one drive caddy.

Open to anything, ready to order all the parts.

I can document some of this journey, upload some photos for potential other people interested to do the same.

Would like to thank you guys in advance for all the support given here over the years.

Last edited:

Dave Hob

Contributor
To be more specific may I get some feedback on some used:

Dell R720xd - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Power...785509?hash=item288c22d7a5:g:zIoAAOSwevJeFjZO

or

Super Micro 2u x10 - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro...730613?hash=item365dc9a735:g:06sAAOSwvvJdkkRA

totally overkill for what I need, maybe with some extra trouble I could mount it in a shed like environment.

What is the main difference between Super Micro 2u setup vs Dell R720xd overall? IPMI?

As far as ESXI support will it be better supported to go on one direction in particular between the 2 options? or maybe a 3rd?

Where is ESXI and FreeNAS at this point, is it still advised against? Should I stay away from it and simplify the equation?

The whole process is probably missing is practicality at this point, maybe it's more like buying a cool toy and playing with it? Who knows.

Thank you