Advise for my first NAS build

Status
Not open for further replies.

groppo91

Cadet
I am looking at adding a NAS to my home network and don't want to buy the wrong parts can anyone offer some advice.

I heard WD RED drives are really good so will probably get a few of these, how many would I need to protect against failure and maybe boost performance?
Does CPU matter? I will probably be using it for PLEX and mainly 1080 to 4k film playback
Motherboard?
Amount of RAM?

I don't want to go overboard so will set a max budget of £2000 saving money will be great what setup do you lot recommend?
Is there much difference between buying a ready built Q-Nap vs Own Build?

lukyjay

Contributor
I don't mean to sound rude but your opening post implies you've done more or less no research. You can start by viewing other threads in this subforum for motherboard, ram and CPU ideas.

There a bunch of useful resources in stickies, also here: https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?resources/

lukyjay

Contributor
Also check the links in Ericloewe's signature

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
As the Aussie bloke said, check out cyberjock's guide and the hardware recommendations guide.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

groppo91

Cadet
Thankyou for all the replies I have been reading for a few days on it but people just say what they went with no one really says why? I don't want to spend £300 on a CPU and then someone later say why did you do that when this one for half the price does better

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
I think the hardware recommendations guide does a good job covering what you need/want. If you disagree, please let me know how to improve it, in the discussion thread.

lukyjay

Contributor
I don't want to spend £300 on a CPU and then someone later say why did you do that when this one for half the price does better
Well my CPU is reasonably priced and I have no regrets whatsoever. It's an E3 1230 v5

Status
Not open for further replies.