File VDEVs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexadecagram

Dabbler
Hello all,

Does FreeNAS 9.10-STABLE support file VDEVs?

I have tried creating one as /data/zfs/file.vdev using zpool create, and it shows up in zpool status but does not show up in the Web UI. Also, if I export the pool on the command line ( zpool export) and then try to import it using the Web UI, it doesn't show up. Moreover, if I then try to import it on the command line ( zpool import), the message displayed is "cannot import 'file': no such pool available".

I see no mention of file VDEVs in the FreeNAS manual, but they are mentioned in the FreeBSD handbook.

What I am trying to accomplish is to create a dataset that actually resides in the freenas-boot pool (which, in my case is 512GB) that can be managed via the WebUI.

Sakuru

Guru
Don't mess with your boot volume, your stuff is likely to disappear the next time you update. Buy a couple flash drives to use for booting and turn that SSD into a standalone pool.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Just a heads up but when you upgrade everything on your boot device gets overwritten. I'm pretty sure what you are trying to do isn't going to work with freenas. You would have better luck with freebsd. Your welcome to try it in freenas but you will be blazing trails.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.