File Explorer in Truenas - Work Around

DrStrange

Cadet
Hi All

I'm still super noob at this and got stuck at setting up the smb file sharing, thus i tried a few directory structures
while setting up the data sets, file sharing and ACL rights under pools etc.

So as any noob would have it you would make some mistakes starting off fresh.

Then later when the light bulb goes on and you catch the hang of things you run into
errors like this name already exists, cause when you delete a share or data set it
does not delete the directory it created previously.

So first try i tried looking for a file explorer cause just as my mind would have it,
if you have a problem delete the problem causer and start fresh...

As my luck would have it there is no easy plugin for root file exploring on TrueNAS or i just
did not land on the right web pages. Although i found many where discussions were closed
with solution if you looking for Explorer maybe TrueNAS is not for you and other systems were suggested
in said forum posts.

Well i tried this work around and it did the job i wanted without breaking a sweat in researching.

First you need to download and install WINSCP https://winscp.net/eng/download.php

Then you go to your TrueNAS services and allow SSH and i would strongly recommend if you allow root access
to change your port number and have very very strong root password. These days if you have a public IP port
on your internet connection port 22 gets bot hack attempted within 1 second of going live.

Then use your port number and root login details on WINSCP on your client computer and use the SFTP login option
you will be prompted to accept a key just say yes.

And Bob is your uncle you can see your data sets under /mnt/* in the WINSCP file manager and copy, paste, cut & delete to your
hearts content the other window pain would be your local client pc and if you have networks mapped drives set up on them to the NAS
or any other network share on the same network as your client pc you can really go wild with moving copying and deleting files.

Kind Regards Hope you guys enjoy this work around

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 2,803

Redcoat

MVP
Last edited:

danb35

Hall of Famer
Yeah, a web-based file manager is a pretty common ask, and it's something most competing products have. I understand that security concerns are the main reason it isn't there, and I get that, but it's kind of unfortunate. I agree with @Redcoat, though, that mc works well; it's installed in the system by default.

But for a Mac-compatible, GUI, SCP/SFTP client, as @bonestaak apparently wanted, it looks like Cyberduck would fit the bill: