file/directory permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

creepwood

Explorer
Very noobish questions.

As I have it set up right now is a file mask of 600 and directory permission of 700.
My media folders and files have an owner 'creepwood', 'creepwood' is a member of group called 'minions', the rights on all the files with few exceptions are drwxrwxr-x.
I have a HTPC which everyone at home has access to, I made a a user called 'xbmc' which is also a member of 'minions'. Now to the problem. my htpc is set up that it will download subtitles automatically and save in the same folder as the video file. the file get xbmc as a owner and with the rights -rw-------

What I would like is that user 'xbmc' don't have the right to edit or delete any content except the content it writes by itself (i.e. overwrite a subtitle that isn't right). I would also like for every user in group minion have the right to read the content that xbmc writes, as it is now the -rw------- makes that impossible. Also content that user 'creepwood' writes (and maybe other users) is accessable to everyone in group minions.

I don't think this is hard at all, but here's the kicker. I also have a private folder outside the media folder that is for me only. I would like to keep it that way.

What do I need to do? Please explain this in a simple to follow way

creepwood

Explorer
BUMP

Does anyone know of how to do it?

Status
Not open for further replies.