Status
Not open for further replies.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Now that the code tag has been added, I have a suggestion for a couple more that have been useful on the FreeBSD Forums.

The first is cmd. Text formatted with this tag is shown with a dark background. It is meant for showing commands without having to explain where they begin or end, or having to say "but not the quotes". Example:
cmd.png

The other one is file. This one is useful for showing filenames. It uses a green foreground. This too, helps in not having to say "but not the quotes". Example:
file.png

These are easy to add. The only problem we have had in the FreeBSD Forums is that people want to use cmd for everything, and code is still needed to preserve indenting and formatting. cmd is really just for single lines, inline with sentences.

Even if new users don't use these tags, they make it easier for experienced users to be unambiguous about what they are saying.

What do you think?

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
Not having to use spurious quotes or workarounds like using bold font would be nice. Eventually one of them (cmd?) might be sufficient and could be used for both purposes.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Count me in for inline fixed-width text. Filenames in a different color are cool, I guess, but not as useful as cmd sounds.

Arwen

MVP
Sign me up too.

wblock

Documentation Engineer
Additional tags enabled, and a test:

cat /tmp/tmp.tmp
What is in your /etc/rc.conf?

snaptec

Guru
Would appreciate that.
But formatting don't work If you view with tapatalk :(

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Nick2253

Wizard
But formatting don't work If you view with tapatalk :(
I've noticed formatting irregularities on other forums as well when using Tapatalk. I wondering if it's a Tapatalk problem or if we can fix it. Paging @JoshDW19.

Status
Not open for further replies.