Fast writing and slow reading on 11.2 U3

Dotty

Contributor
I have a dual Xeon with 128 ECC RAM.
The HBA is LSI 9211-8i on IT mode.
Twelve 5700 RPM HDDs, on RAIZ2 and two SSD (all for testing).

I set a SMB share, and Im using a 6GB ISO file for testing the transfer speeds.
my writing speeds from a Windows PC are as expected, 115MB/s (saturating a 1GB ethernet link).
My reading speeds starts good, but about 25% percent into the copy the speed decays to 10MB/s , then up to 60BM/s, then down, then up.

I though it was my network, so I connected the PC directly with an ethernet cable to the FreeNAS box, same thing.
I thought it was my onboard NIC (it is Intel) , so I put an extra NIC (also intel), same thing.
I though it was the HDDs, so I removed the RAIDZ, same thing, I also tested with the SSD on the freeNAS box which is brand new and is connected to the onboard HBA on the Motherboard, same.
I also tested with another HBA, LSI 9260 MegaRaid, without ZFS on the SMB, (I know, RAID is not good),, but same thing.

The PC has an SSD, transfer speeds from the PC to another PC are fast, read and write.

Im wiping out FreeNAS right now and I will install Windows 2012 to test the hardware, just in case.
FreeNAS 11.2 will be back in the box after I finish testing.

Any suggestions where to start troubleshooting the next time I have FreeNAS there?

D

dlavigne

Did you determine the cause for this? If not, what is the output of ifconfig? Which version of FreeNAS 11.2? What is the pool layout?