Failing Hard Drive? What to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

torrin

I am running 6x1.5TB drives in a RaidZ2 configuration on 8.01b2 and it is working well. The only issue I have is SMART keeps giving me the following error:

Jun 23 11:17:27 bunker smartd[1244]: Device: /dev/ada3, 15 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
Jun 23 11:17:27 bunker smartd[1244]: Device: /dev/ada3, 15 Offline uncorrectable sectors
Jun 23 11:47:27 bunker smartd[1244]: Device: /dev/ada3, 15 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
Jun 23 11:47:27 bunker smartd[1244]: Device: /dev/ada3, 15 Offline uncorrectable sectors

I have been receiving the error since I built out the array. I have had no other issues and the drive does not appear to be failing. I do have a fresh replacement 1.5TB drive, but I think that I can leave this run until it dies (if ever)?

I have Googled how to resolve the error in Smartd, but it is not clear to me how to solve the issue within a ZFS array.

Advice or pointers would be great.

Thanks!

Tekkie

Patron
Replace? :)

torrin

replace the drive.

Replace is the simple answer, but this drive has been running for two months with no additional errors, it passed all smart tests, and as far as I can tell, it is healthy beyond this single 15 sector instance. I would hate to burn my spare on a working drive.

Tekkie

Patron
Suite yourself ;)

PS. Most drives come with 3 year warranty...

B

Bohs Hansen

Suite yourself ;)

PS. Most drives come with 3 year warranty...

and a lot of enterprise class drives come with 5 years.

But to get back to your original situation. I don't know why you get those msgs or what's broken .. but one thing I'd try before RMA'ing the drive, is to take run some tests with SeaTools or similar HDD testing tools. If you RMA a devices and they cant reproduce it, you'll just get it thrown back in your face with a little bill for postage etc. Another possibility would be to add it to a system that can run a full s.m.a.r.t. test on it, and then do that.

If none of these things produce an error, my guess is its OS related somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.