Defective Hard Disk? Device: /dev/ada0, 1536 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

frozn00

Explorer
This is my interpretation, others may differ:

The drive you replaced had a value of 63192 for attribute #5, which is sectors that had actually been remapped at some point. That's a huge number of remapped sectors and may have reached the limit of what the drive had available as spares. There were a further 1536 potentially bad sectors waiting to be remapped or recovered. The drive was toast.

Your current ada1 shows 16 potential problem sectors in attribute #s 197 and 198. These sectors may or many not end up remapped. If they do, but then everything stabilizes, the drive may be fine. However, if #s 197 and 198 continue to rise, and/or #5 starts to rise, the drive is probably going bad.

You can read more on Wikipedia.

And be sure to heed the advice to set up a proper SMART testing schedule with functioning email alerts.

Thank you very much for this great explination. I will keep an eye out on those values. I have to figure out now how to get the freenas to e-mail me if there is a problem!

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Thank you very much for this great explination. I will keep an eye out on those values. I have to figure out now how to get the freenas to e-mail me if there is a problem!
  1. Under System | Advanced, choose a "Periodic Notification User:".
  2. Under Account | Users, enter an email address for the user you chose above.
  3. Under System | Email, make sure you have email notifications working by sending a test email.
  4. Under Services, make sure SMART is enabled, and in that service's settings, make sure you enter something in "Email to report:".
  5. Configure periodic SMART tests under Tasks.
Note the difference between the SMART testing schedule and the SMART service check interval. The former is for setting up short and long self-tests on a suitable interval. The latter is for checking the SMART parameters, which should be done much more frequently (the default is every 30 minutes). This is confusing until you realize that drives update their own SMART attributes all the time, but they don't run short or long self-tests unless you tell them to.

EDIT: fixed a typo.

Last edited:

frozn00

Explorer
  1. Under System | Advanced, choose a "Periodic Notification User:".
  2. Under Account | Users, enter an email address for the user you chose above.
  3. Under System | Email, make sure you have email notifications working by sending a test email.
  4. Under Services, make sure SMART is enabled, and in that service's settings, make sure you enter something in "Email to report:".
  5. Configure periodic SMART tests under Tasks.
Note the difference between the SMART testing schedule and the SMART service check interval. The former is for setting up short and long self-tests on a suitable interval. The latter is for checking the SMART parameters, which should be done much more frequently (the default is every 30 minutes). This is confusing until you realize that drives update their own SMART attributes all the time, but they don't run short or long self-tests unless you tell them to.

EDIT: fixed a typo.

Thanks for the reply. I don't know why, but under Advanced, there is not an option for "Periodic Notification User". From my searches, it it supposed to be under MOTD Banner at the very bottom. It's just not there. Any idea why? This is how my Advanced looks:

http://i.imgur.com/I1RAKfZ.png

Thanks!

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Maybe you need to get everything set up under System | Email first ... or maybe you're on a different version and that setting was moved.

frozn00

Explorer
Maybe you need to get everything set up under System | Email first ... or maybe you're on a different version and that setting was moved.

I can send myself a test e-mail and I have verified that works. I am using FreeNAS-9.3-STABLE-201501162230. I'm still looking...

frozn00

Explorer

I think it was added in 9.3 just not in my version. At about the 18th bullet down it says it was "added" I think I need to upgrade. I will backup my USB stick tonight and do the upgrade since...I don't want to mess anything up doing this remotely.

http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_intro.html

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Yes, it looks like previously it always went to the root user. In fact, on the System | Email page it still says this:
HINT: Test e-mails are sent to root user. To configure it use Account -> Users -> View Users -> root -> Change E-mail
EDIT: I guess maybe test emails still do go to root user.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.