Failed USB drive cant re-mirror. drive showing twice.

eddie200112

Contributor
Been burning through flash drives this last year and went to replace the failed one again. However, this time after i unplugged the bad one and rebooted. The remaining good drive shows up like this, as both ONLINE and FAULTED. It won't give the option to mirror. I can detach or replace but it won't let that happen since this is the only replica. How do I get out of this situation. I've tried a reboot. anything else?

Attachments

• freenas boot.jpg
    freenas boot.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 67

Davvo

MVP

NugentS

MVP
@eddie200112 your hardware list doesn't mention the SSD's - it just mentions 12*IronWolf Drives
Are we talking about the same hardware?

eddie200112

Contributor
@eddie200112 your hardware list doesn't mention the SSD's - it just mentions 12*IronWolf Drives
Are we talking about the same hardware?
I didnt mention anything about SSD's. Wheres that coming from?

eddie200112

Contributor

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-29 191343.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-09-29 191343.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 69

NugentS

MVP

Davvo

MVP
Try saving your config, re-installing TN on the correct drives (BOTH), then importing back your config.

eddie200112

Contributor
Try saving your config, re-installing TN on the correct drives (BOTH), then importing back your config.
Is it truly that simple. Save the config file. Remove old drives. Insert new drives and reinstall. and once i load the old config file my files and everything will be as before? What about things like my plex setup will I have to set that back up. I worry as this is my repository for my whole families photos and videos etc. TB's of files.

eddie200112

Contributor
if i try to detach the second drive in the list i get this message.
Screenshot 2023-10-03 230017.png

eddie200112

Contributor
I guess if i do a re-install ill use SSD's instead.

So just the "save config" button on the System\General page? How do I know if my system is encrypted I've read that will prevent this from working. I don't believe I set it up that way but it was a long time ago.

Davvo

MVP
You don't have to detach any drives. You might want to export your data pools.

It is as simple as that. If you don't know about encryption or likes, save your secret seed as well (an option while savings the config file).

eddie200112

Contributor
You don't have to detach any drives. You might want to export your data pools.

It is as simple as that. If you don't know about encryption or likes, save your secret seed as well (an option while savings the config file).
what do you mean by "data pools"? Like the data on my pools? Not really an option unless you know of somewhere cheap to backup 14TB of data.

Davvo

MVP
data pools = all the pools but the boot pool.
pool exporting is not a backup (which you should have anyway).

Do not destroy anything.

eddie200112

Contributor
Thanks for the added clarification. I apologize for being a naggy newb haha. I learned enough to set this server up 8 yrs ago and learn what i need as I go but forgot alot since my original install. I havent found a clear cut step by step guide for dummys on how to export my data pools with the GUI. Is it command line only? Also curious as to what the export is actually backing up if not the data? Just the structure?

Last the config file I need to save is the one found on the System/General page of the GUI correct. Just backup, unplug all my drives , reinstall a new copy of truenas, import that config and then plug my drives in and I " should" be good to go?

Thanks again!

Davvo

MVP
I havent found a clear cut step by step guide for dummys on how to export my data pools with the GUI. Is it command line only? Also curious as to what the export is actually backing up if not the data? Just the structure?
The start of the document I previously linked tells you where to look. Exporting a pool means separating it, usually in order to transfer it in another system; it's the software equivalent of physically unplugging the drives.
All the data will remain unless you choose to wipe the pool.

Last the config file I need to save is the one found on the System/General page of the GUI correct.
Correct.

Just backup, unplug all my drives , reinstall a new copy of truenas, import that config and then plug my drives in and I " should" be good to go?
Backup config, export pool, reinstall TN, import pool, import config.

eddie200112

Contributor
Thanks for all the help its truly appreciated. A couple last points if I may? The export of the pools can only be done from the command line correct? Also I shouldn't have an issue if I switch to SSD's for the boot drives if coming from USB Flash when importing my config file right?

Davvo

MVP
Thanks for all the help its truly appreciated. A couple last points if I may? The export of the pools can only be done from the command line correct?
Both exporting and importing can (and should) be done from the WebUI.

Also I shouldn't have an issue if I switch to SSD's for the boot drives if coming from USB Flash when importing my config file right?
You should have no issues.

eddie200112

Contributor
Went to start this tonight but when I went to export there is an option that is prechecked to "Delete configuration of shares that used this pool". then it has my SMB shares and Jails listed.
Can I choose to NOT delete these? Would that make my transfer smoother/easier? Or does it risk complications?

Davvo

MVP
Can I choose to NOT delete these?
You should NOT delete those if you plan to simply import back the pool, but if you are going to restore the config backup it's indifferent.

eddie200112

Contributor
OK so should I not delete them if I'm restoring the config file after my fresh install?